Time to build some blackout screens

Chefgage

Earlier on in the year i had a problem with a neighbours security light in that it was on most of the night! Right I said time to make a blackout screen that fixes to the concrete fence posts that are in line of sight of the light.

Got the materials sorted but the light is hardly ever on now so i have not bothered making a screen.

Fastforward to summer and where i site my scope now to get a better view there is another light that the neighbours on the other side now leave on all night.

I tried to do some observing last night but alot of the objects i want to observe means pointing the scope towards this light so just shielding myself i.e. a towel/ bag type thing over the head will not solve the problem.  

Looking through the eye piece showed pretty much nothing towards that area of sky due to the security light basically shining down the scope tube!!!

So its time to construct a washing line type arrangement with blackout material that can be pulled across like a curtain. The idea being that there will be a pole attached to the concrete fence post and then a steel cable will attach from that to the house with the curtain hung between.

Right that feels better having a moan (sorry everyone).  I will post a picture of my creation when its done :)

Do you use a dew shield on your 'scope? This would help shield some of the light too. A polite word with your neighbors explaining your hobby and the difficulties encountered when they leave the light on all night might save you a lot of work. If your neighbors are approachable that is!

Archived