Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lord Byron near Venice (Italy) - S&T article

Piero

I was reading the August '17 number of Sky & telescope 1 week ago or so. While reading an article dedicated to Lord Byron and his description of an evening twilight in Italy in August 200 years ago, a few very familiar photos caught my attention!

I know all those places described in that article! - I thought - Of course I know, they are less than 10km from where I come from! -

I cycled to Mira (in the article they call it `La Mira` for some reason..) many times when I was a child and teenager, with my dog too. For a while that article revived many memories in me. 

I particularly like this text: 

"A single star is at her side, and reigns
With her o’er half the lovely heaven." (by Lord Byron)

The above description may seem fantastical or exaggerated to
those who have never seen an Oriental or an Italian sky, yet it
is but a literal and hardly sufficient delineation of an August
evening (the eighteenth) as contemplated in one of many
rides along the banks of the Brenta near La Mira. (comment by S&T)

(the single star is Jupiter which is in conjunction with the Moon).

Nowadays, light pollution is severe in the North-East of Italy, but the seeing can be exceptionally good.

This sunset was taken in June from my mother's flat, about 10km North-East from the places described in the S&T article.

Those clouds in the picture remained in the same position all day. There is so little wind over there.

On the horizon toward North, the Prealpi as we call them (in English. Alpine foothills), are visible. 

IMG_20140529_210203.thumb.jpg.43c513f4e5472ca46258f8d0208a9ff8.jpg

Archived