SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What scale do you use for Seeing / Transparence?

N3ptune

Hello, I’d like to define today which scale to use for seeing and transparency of the sky.

For instance the following web site: http://seeing.cleardarksky.com/c/Montrealkey.html?1

It will annotate transparency like that:

Too cloudy to forecast Poor Below Average Average Above average Transparent

And seeing like that: 

Too cloudy to forecast Bad 1/5 Poor 2/5 Average 3/5 Good 4/5 Excellent 5/5

Should I use that system has the universal system or maybe there are other available options?

Thanks.

Thanks for the document Rockystar, for transparency there is a scale with 7 grades there that's interesting.

Ill take a look at the report and sketch sections to examine what people are using.. I am being lazy right now asking without looking first (:

From the PDF I've been using the first Seeing scale and the AAAA Transparency Scale. I like how you don't need to make judgement calls with the Transparency scale...you just need to count stars.

On 7/21/2017 at 03:56, elliot said:

From the PDF I've been using the first Seeing scale and the AAAA Transparency Scale. I like how you don't need to make judgement calls with the Transparency scale...you just need to count stars.

Do you use a specific set of stars for each seasons? Is it possible for me to look at this PDF of yours, if it's a free one.

On 7/21/2017 at 08:01, ollypenrice said:

Lots of people use Sky Quality Meters for transparency and LP levels.

http://www.unihedron.com/projects/darksky/

The given values have become a kind of universal currency these days.

Olly

Ah yes, I know this device, the sky quality meter. But I want to stick with rough estimations, I just feel it's not vital enough for me to spend money on, even if it's a very cool device. The total budget I am willing to spend for atmospheric studies is around 0 and 40CAD. :p

Archived