NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eq3 pro eqdir wiring

MyRomeo

I know this has been discussed before but I’m struggling to find info... can someone confirm the rj45 pinout for an EQ3 Pro mount eqdir cable using a usb FTDI cable... have tx, rx, gnd and 5v headers...

Aim is to control mount from laptop instead of handset so laptop directly to synscan unit (handset port not st4).

i dont believe i eve I need the 5v

do I need to connect two of the pins at the mount end for 12v?

please help!

The sourceforge link shows a separate 12 volt regulator, hence a 12v source is needed....

But that link also uses a chip that can have issues, so I'd recommend getting an FTDI device like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hobby-Components-UK-USB-to-serial-port-adapter-FTDI-with-3-3V-and-5V-outputs-/130923180691?epid=1731269752&hash=item1e7ba13293:g:A~oAAOxyi-ZTXiu2 to which you attach an RJ45 network lead (cut off one end), which plugs into the motor control port, i.e. the port the handset would normally plug into.

Thanks for the link above. 

To confirm the chipset is a Prolific FTDI 5v one... anyhow I've resolved the problem and have my netbook talking to the scope now.

Two things, one, I had used the 5v wire instead of the ground wire (oops!) and I had to lower the buffer size from its default max value to 4. This seems to work perfectly now, just as it clouds over and starts to rain!

So I now have the EQ3 Pro with Synscan, Netbook rocking PHD2, ASCOM and Stellarium and a modified Xbox camera hooked to the finder scope ready to guide. Sorted!

16 minutes ago, MyRomeo said:

Thanks for the link above. 

To confirm the chipset is a Prolific FTDI 5v one... anyhow I've resolved the problem and have my netbook talking to the scope now.

Two things, one, I had used the 5v wire instead of the ground wire (oops!) and I had to lower the buffer size from its default max value to 4. This seems to work perfectly now, just as it clouds over and starts to rain!

So I now have the EQ3 Pro with Synscan, Netbook rocking PHD2, ASCOM and Stellarium and a modified Xbox camera hooked to the finder scope ready to guide. Sorted!

It can't be both chipsets, it can only be one or the other, either Prolific or FTDI... :)

1 hour ago, MyRomeo said:

Oh well it was advertised as and has FTDI on it and windows identifies it as prolific... go figure. 

If windows says Prolific, than that's what it is...!!

i use USB to serial adapters that are Prolific and have always been superb, just not sure about an EQMOD cable, I think the Hitecastro ones were Prolific..... :) so should be ok..

Thanks guys. It seems to be working great now so I’m happy with that! Just need to do some wiring now, usb hub, power etc, tidy it all up. 

Also so any advice on connecting a webcam to stock finder scope? I know I could benefit from a larger finder scope but for getting started it’ll have to do. 

Archived