Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My visual artillery

Andrew*

This is my latest eyepiece collection, and it seems to suit my needs exactly.

(I had good fun shooting this and fiddling with it in photoshop - hope you like the effect. It was taken with flash on a glossy wooden table and "glowing edges" filter applied in PS.)

8158_normal.jpeg

From left to right: Orion 21mm Stratus, 31mm Baader Hyperion-Aspheric, Meade Series 5000 14mm UWA,

TeleVue 3-6mm Nagler zoom (with parfocal ring), Antares 9mm orthoscopic, TeleVue 10.5mm plossl.

This covers all magnifications for every target: very low (32x - 31mm), low (48x - 21mm), medium (71x - 14mm), medium-high (111x - 9mm), high (166x - 6mm) to very high (333x - 3mm).

The 9 and 10.5mm are just an experiment to see how much I will use this focal length - I don't intend to keep both, if either. To get around 100x I could barlow the 21mm, but that's a lot of glass, and means bothering with a barlow, so I thought a simple eyepiece would do me good. The other night I found the 9mm ortho to be so crisp and contrasty, while a barlowed eyepiece lacked the same clarity needed to resolve clusters and the brightness to show faint PNs. I haven't used the 10.5mm in comparison yet...

The 10.5mm is the smallest eyepiece I've ever encountered - it must look a joke next to e.g. a 35 pan!

We'll see how long I keep this set-up... :clouds2:

Andrew

Archived