NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron CPC 925 with HD Wedge Polar Alignment

I am building an observatory and I am at the stage of test fitting my CPC925 and HD Wedge to my pier which is topped with a car brake disc.. I have a print off which I think is a Celestron product which says that the hinge on the wedge should be pointing to the North. Is this correct? I am trying to understand the whole idea of Polar Alignment.

I have attached a very rough sketch which looks at different positions at different latitudes. 

At the equator no wedge is required, I believe. My sketch shows the various orientations of the wedge at different latitudes and with the hinge pointing to the South. In each case, by setting the wedge to the local latitude the mounting plate then becomes parallel to that at the equator.

This seems to me to be logical. If the hinge points North as shown in the 60 degree latitude example the mounting plate is at a totally different angle.

Can anyone please explain where I may be going wrong?

Thank you

Jack

APA3.jpg

53 minutes ago, jACK101 said:

the hinge on the wedge should be pointing to the North. Is this correct? I

Yup correct - so when you wind the elevation screw at the south end, it pushes the top plate upwards toward the north. The scope stands on the top plate facing north - and the arms of the alt/az mount will point north too (parallel with the scope). :).

Archived