Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSS won't read RAW files.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, NeoObserver said:

To close the loop on the XT-2 discussion, I reprocessed using DSS and only the best 75% of the light frames and then reduced the star sizes a bit more in post processing. The colors are still the most uncertain for me, but I think they have improved some. Now back to the good old XT-1 for me. :icon_biggrin:

It is reassuring to know that modern cameras can take astrophotos without cooling even in hot (28C) weather, given reasonable darks, bias, and flats.

Thanks to Ian for suggestions and constructive feedback. And clear skies to Galen with an intervalometer and dark site! 

M16 better small.jpg

Colors are absolutely perfect on that image.

Thanks for the link, intervalometer on its way!

Galen,

I think you did well with the Lagoon Nebula! Sorry about the focus... that happens to everybody. I can't count the number of times I have missed focus or didn't refocus early enough. Because of repeat mistakes, I have begun keeping some brief observing notes after each session to capture what I want to do again and what I want to avoid. Before I leave home the next time that list gets reviewed. It has helped reduce the number of repeat mistakes, but I still make some every time out. Imaging is tricky business and it is a bit remarkable how the images come out OK in spite of the errors.

I look forward to seeing more of your good work, especially once the intervalometer arrives!

David

1 hour ago, NeoObserver said:

Galen,

I think you did well with the Lagoon Nebula! Sorry about the focus... that happens to everybody. I can't count the number of times I have missed focus or didn't refocus early enough. Because of repeat mistakes, I have begun keeping some brief observing notes after each session to capture what I want to do again and what I want to avoid. Before I leave home the next time that list gets reviewed. It has helped reduce the number of repeat mistakes, but I still make some every time out. Imaging is tricky business and it is a bit remarkable how the images come out OK in spite of the errors.

I look forward to seeing more of your good work, especially once the intervalometer arrives!

David

Thank you.

The intervalometer arrived today, the manual is a bit confusing the online pdf file is a lot easier. But naturally the clouds have rolled in, bet I'll get a break during the full moon! :p

Archived