SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DSS won't read RAW files.

Last night I took about 6x30second exposures of the ring nebula with a Fuji xt-1. But when I feed the raw files into DSS they won't load in and just appear blank. Just to test to see if the images were there and I just couldn't see them, I tested the amount of stars and put the threshold to 1%. Nothing. Yes I have the latest version 3.3.4, and yes my camera was supported.

I'll use Tiff files for now, but I would really like to know the problem.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the same problem with my new canon camera, its listed as being supported but does not work (same with some other software) the best fix I found is to convert everything into the Adobe DNG format.

Alan 

P.S. DNG format or Digital Negative is still a RAW format and the converter software is free.

Uh oh, now I have a new problem. DSS refuses to stack my dark frames, when I hit the stack button it says "the checked pictures are not compatibles (width, height, number of colors, number of channels, only one master dark, offset and flat)" I've noticed that my dark frames are 4896 X 3264 instead of 3264 x 4896 like the light frames are.

This is all so confusing

18 minutes ago, Galen Gilmore said:

Uh oh, now I have a new problem. DSS refuses to stack my dark frames, when I hit the stack button it says "the checked pictures are not compatibles (width, height, number of colors, number of channels, only one master dark, offset and flat)" I've noticed that my dark frames are 4896 X 3264 instead of 3264 x 4896 like the light frames are.

This is all so confusing

You should just be able to rotate it, not sure what you have but obviously it would need to read DNG, rotate, then save as DNG.

You'll get there :)

3 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

You should just be able to rotate it, not sure what you have but obviously it would need to read DNG, rotate, then save as DNG.

You'll get there :)

First I'm not using DNG currently, but I probably will. Second, when I open Lightroom all the pictures (darks and lights) are all the same size, but then inserting them into DSS rotates the darks into landscape mode. Stranger still clicking on the dark frames shows them visually as being in portrait mode. And taking the strange one step further, rotating them prior to stacking doesn't rotate them back into portrait mode.

Take a moment to try and let your brain soak that in...

Just now, Galen Gilmore said:

Take a moment to try and let your brain soak that in...

No, I won't!! I need whisky now, but it's a school night.

Seriously though, does this help - http://www.peachpit.com/blogs/blog.aspx?uk=Changing-the-crop-orientation-in-Lightroom&WT.rss_f=AuthorBlog&WT.rss_a=Changing-the-crop-orientation-in-Lightroom&WT.rss_ev=a

Well, you are doing much better than I Galen.

DSS just put out another black image for me. Drat! :rolleyes2::tongue2:

If brains were dynamite, I don't think I could blow my nose. :angry9:

Hi Galen

Short answer is: "No it won't!"I gave up trying to get my Fuji X-T1 RAFs to work with DSS! Even though I was using the latest DSS, and DCRAW 'should' be able to de-mosaic the files, like you all I got was a black image. Converting to DNG does work, but not using the latest conversion protocol. As I do Alt-Az imaging with short subs I end up with many files and the storage was excessive, so I've now turned to AstroArt to do the calibration and stacking. Even then, that isn't totally doing the job properly because the calibration should be done on the raw files, and the stacking on the de-mosaiced files, but once the files have been calibrated the resultant FITS can't be de-mosaiced. The problem lies in the non-Bayer filter pattern of the X-TRANS sensor. So I end up de-mosaicing on load and just do the calibration on the de-mosaiced files. It works!

I'm keeping an eye on the new AstroPixel Processor (APP) as his coding doesn't use the DCRAW script at all. Currently he has it up and running for Canon and Nikon raw files, and intends to work on Sony, Fuji and Pentax raws soon.

When I found the same issue as you I started a thread on here which you might want to read. I'll have a look for it and post it up. I like the results the camera gives though. It has a reasonable response to H-alpha, it is low noise, and I think the absence of a low-pass filter in front of the sensor allows greater definition.

Ian

Hmm, I can't seem to find any of the older threads now, looks like they went when the forum was 'upgraded'. Pity, there was some useful stuff there. Either that or my own inept search procedure!

Ian

EDIT' Here it is: https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/224302-fuji-x-t1-digital-camera/

Put it down to my search technique. Worth reading through and comparing with your own situation. Hope it helps.

2 hours ago, The Admiral said:

Hmm, I can't seem to find any of the older threads now, looks like they went when the forum was 'upgraded'. Pity, there was some useful stuff there. Either that or my own inept search procedure!

Ian

EDIT' Here it is: https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/224302-fuji-x-t1-digital-camera/

Put it down to my search technique. Worth reading through and comparing with your own situation. Hope it helps.

Thanks, I'll have a read.

Galen,

I am definitely an amateur at astrophotography, and had the XT-1 as a family camera prior to starting astrophotography. Like you I tried unsuccessfully to use DSS with RAW files and just used jpegs, which gave mediocre results. I kept looking, though, and finally found two solutions that work reliably: 

First option: Import each XT-1 raw file into Lightroom and then export as DNG using the option in the Export Dialog box, under File Settings, Image Format, Compatibility set as "Camera Raw 6.6 and later." DSS will then use the DNG files just fine. The resulting astrophotos are colorful and have good detail, but I was never convinced that all of the detail in the sensor was preserved in the final images.

Second option: Iridient X-Transformer RAF to DNG utility became available. Iridient has had an excellent reputation in the Fuji community for several years in producing wonderfully detailed output from Fuji X-trans sensors. So, I wondered if Iridient would do any better. Well, it does! Here are the settings I use:

Under RAW options:

Raw process - More Detailed

Sharpening - Default (and check Turn off Lightroom sharpening)

DNG Baseline sharpness - Adobe default

Luminance noise reduction - Default (and check Turn off Lightroom Luminance NR)

Color noise reduction - Default (and check Turn off Lightroom Color NR)

DNG Baseline noise tag - Adobe Default

Lens corrections - Ignore

The export is pretty fast and the files are wonderfully detailed when stacked in DSS. I will try to add some examples when I know more about the size limits for Stargazers Lounge.

Hope this may give you some other options. Both methods have worked reliably for me with DSS 3.3.4 and the XT-1 RAF files, including lights, darks, flats, and bias frames.

Best regards,

David

One thing you need to ensure is that the data remains linear. I'd be wary of importing into LR for that reason, though it might be OK, especially as the Adobe DNG is free and does a direct conversion.

Iridient is a Mac OS application I understand. Is the Iridient X-transformer the same, or can it run under Windows?

Ian

Thankfully, Iridient X-Transformer runs under windows. I am using Windows 10. Choosing the default options seems to preserve the linear nature of the file, at least well enough for DSS and StarTools... hope your experience is also good.

I am trying to include three photos taken with the XT-1 to give a sense of the detail in the photos. Two are with a 4" refractor and one is with an 8" Cassegrain. I am clearly a novice, and have much to learn. These are just to give some sense of what I am seeing with using Iridient and DSS, then StarTools and/or Lightroom. All would have benefitted from more time (e.g. the photo of M13 was a single 3 minute exposure taken after spending two hours tweaking the collimation of the Caddegrain and was to check to see if the final result was OK; M51 was 88 min).

Hope this helps!

David

Cocoon nebula samll-2.jpg

M13 samll-5451.jpg

M51 samll-.jpg

4 minutes ago, NeoObserver said:

Thankfully, Iridient X-Transformer runs under windows. I am using Windows 10. Choosing the default options seems to preserve the linear nature of the file, at least well enough for DSS and StarTools... hope your experience is also good.

I am trying to include three photos taken with the XT-1 to give a sense of the detail in the photos. Two are with a 4" refractor and one is with an 8" Cassegrain. I am clearly a novice, and have much to learn. These are just to give some sense of what I am seeing with using Iridient and DSS, then StarTools and/or Lightroom. All would have benefitted from more time (e.g. the photo of M13 was a single 3 minute exposure taken after spending two hours tweaking the collimation of the Caddegrain and was to check to see if the final result was OK; M51 was 88 min).

Hope this helps!

David

Cocoon nebula samll-2.jpg

M13 samll-5451.jpg

M51 samll-.jpg

Are the DNG files created by lightroom or iridient any different than the DNG files created by Adobe DNG converter? I tried DNG files and they showed up blank, black.

Nice pictures btw, it shows that xt-1s can be used for astrophotography. But it's not just the camera :) 

2 minutes ago, Galen Gilmore said:

Are the DNG files created by lightroom or iridient any different than the DNG files created by Adobe DNG converter? I tried DNG files and they showed up blank, black.

Did you set the Adobe DNG converter to "Camera Raw 6.6 and later." ? 

Ian

I could never get the Adobe DNG converter to work properly for this purpose. I tried several versions, but the resulting files never worked in DSS. I wonder if it is converting to a later version of DNG by default. Possibly the Lightroom version works because you can select the earlier version for the DNG format in the Export dialog box?? I am just guessing...

Archived