Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Having trouble getting my body in the contorted position to use the finderscope

think i may replace my RDF with one of those nice RA finderscopes from FLO. they seem a good price and will really help me i feel

Keep the RDF, because it is useful for getting to the right part of the sky. Otherwise you will find yourself sighting along the adjusting screw heads to get close to something, as I do when the RDF battery has cacked.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Keep the RDF, because it is useful for getting to the right part of the sky. Otherwise you will find yourself sighting along the adjusting screw heads to get close to something, as I do when the RDF battery has cacked.

With a litte bit of practice "shooting from the hip" will get me in the range of a wide field Eyepiece (25x) I then tune in with higher power EP's..... On an alt-azimuth mount that is....

It's true that a straight-through finder can be awkward to use: I have one on my dob. A right-angle finder is one solution - another is to make sure you have something clean and comfy to kneel on.

Andrew

thats true WH but i really dont want to go drilling into my OTA, i can see it all ending in tears if i do.

The RDF's are probably light enough to stick on with something double sided like velcro (if you're only using it for rough alignment.

Tony

I have tried velcro and it is very wobbly. Double sided carpet tape works better. I have used velcro to suspend a light above the accessory tray, and to hold the tracking motor controller on the tripod.

Archived