Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did I just see, and did anyone else see it?

Hi, this is my first post here.

I only joined in a panic searching for a forum to post what I just saw.

I’m in the South East of the UK.

At 22:45 tonight (about 15 mins ago), I spotted a bright reddish/orangish ball (no tail) appearing to move slowly across the sky at about 45deg above my horizon.

Their was no engine noise and no flashing lights.

It was visible for about 1mins before slowly fading as it become more distant.

I have seen a fireball before, but moving at a much greater speed and lasting mere seconds during a meteor shower back in the 90’s.

Having never seen a meteor shower before, or fireballs, I literally thought the world was coming to an end lol.

Anyway, I would be interested in hearing if anyone else here had observed the same object.

Unfortunately im flying out to Ireland in the morning, so probably wont be able to read any responses until my return on Monday.

Many thanks

Shane

Sounds like you saw an "Iridium Flare". Old communication satellites from the Iridium Satellite Phone system are tumbling as they orbit, and they have one very reflective surface. When it lines up properly, you see a bright reflection.

Go to http://www.heavens-above.com , enter your location, and you can get the time and location of such flares - including whether there was one at the time and location you saw your event.

- Richard

Don't panic mate as it is likely to be one of those sky lanterns. Check this family friendly video from You tube.

Man! I gotta get me one of those! :shock:

I agree Warthog, but that may generate more 'What did I just see, and did anyone else see it?' type e-mails. :clouds2:

Hi

Thanks for all the replies.

I know it wasn’t a sky lantern, they launch from a site not far from me.

This was a single object, with a definite circular shape, and a very different colour to the sky lanterns iv witnessed.

Also, it was much brighter than a lantern and visible for much longer.

Iridium flares are white, and have a maximum duration of about 20 seconds. Most are much briefer than that, about 5 to 10 seconds. You obviously saw a UFO, as it was an object, it was flying, and we haven't been able to identify it. :clouds2:

UFO! Mr Hog you are a very naughty boy for using that word. It is nearly as bad as astr*@ogy .

Hi

Thanks for all the replies.

I know it wasn’t a sky lantern, they launch from a site not far from me.

This was a single object, with a definite circular shape, and a very different colour to the sky lanterns iv witnessed.

Also, it was much brighter than a lantern and visible for much longer.

They can take an age to pass over (depending on altitude), are you sure it wasn't some that were launched from further a field? As it happens, I saw 3 last Friday night (12th) and they were way above the clouds, took a good 5-10 minutes to go over whereas last summer I saw some which were lower and went over in a matter of 1 minute. Silent, bright orange blobs are the only description I can come up with.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Archived