Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WO RDF

Roy

Cheers Tony, although I'm sure some are better than others.

I've always used a 9x50 finder scope in the past, I've just bought a Megrez 90 and I need some sort of finder, WO only do a 6x30 which I'm not to keen on TBH

Roy, I've got an Orion(US) RDF on my Mak-Cass and the 'window' is certainly smaller much like the Skywatcher and cheap Baader models (although the expensive Baader one is huge!), they're also made of plastic where the WO version has a metal body. Since I've had mine, I find it much easier to use for GOTO alignment and finding the brighter objects manually than a normal finder but for proper star-hopping I guess either a conbimation of both or a RACI finder would be best depending on how your light pollution is.

Tony..

TBH Tony, I'm not one for star hopping, I used to have a G11 which I sold a while back and I've just bought an EQ6 Pro so it's goto all the way for me, I'll only be using it for initial star alignments.

I can't get mine to align with a chosen star using the allen keys. The left/right seems fine, but the up/down does nothing. There's a bolt at the bottom of the "up" allen bolt which either gets screwed back into its recess or extends to its maximum into the middle gap. Anyone help me on that one?

It also dews up quickly as there's no dewshield as such. :x

Otherwise its a lovely, well made bit of kit! :clouds2:

Tony, is yours the Williams Optics RDF,

I don't have my scopes mounted yet because I'm waiting for a dovetail bar to be delivered but having looked at it I can say that the mechanism appears to be moving the body up and down all be it in small increments.

I rate the WO RDF highly, I've used quite a few different brands both for astronomy and shooting including models from baader and celestron, guess which one was the keeper??

I just wish they made a much smaller version of the telrad, as that IMHO is te best of the lot, but sadly doesnt suit smaller scopes.

Thanks for your thoughts Ian, I do have a Telrad on my Obsession but as you say, they are a bit on the big side.

I also had an RDF on my old 12" Lightbridge but the quality of that was no where near as good as the WO.

I just need to get my scopes mounted so that I can give it a whirl.

Hi Roy.

I have the same RDF as the WO but it's unbranded. Does your "up" bolt actually push against anything to adjust and raise the LED? Mine just unscrews the bolt at the bottom into the gap. If I turn it the otherway it just screws into its recess again.

Archived