NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Yamamoto (SYW) 60mm Refractor?

Hello,

I have just picked up on eBay this 60mm f=700mm japanese refractor which seems to be an early Yamamoto (SYW) A7 model, based on the design of the mount, and based on the shape of the 0.965" eyepiece holder. The label has gone off, so I can not identify it with certainty. Would anybody know more about these telescopes? The objective is clear, the mount is smooth to use and holds firmly the OTA. However, it came like this, without any eyepiece nor accessories, and the finder is missing. I am looking forward to the evening tonight so I can do a start test. Thank you for your feedback.

Gilles 

DSC_4034R.jpg

DSC_4035R.jpg

DSC_4037R.jpg

DSC_4038R.jpg

You can buy a hybrid diagonal for 0.965 to 1.25 conversion, likely the easy option.

I think that Alan at Skies the Limit used to do 0.965" eyepieces - but only basic ones, Huygens or Ramsdens. At one time RVO had 0.965" plossls from Antares available, however I think they have ceased those some time ago. Bit of a shame as Antares made reasonable eyepieces and you could have kept the whole lot as 0.965".

For classic scopes and if really can be bothered go ask on Cloudy Nights, there is a following over in the US for these scopes and so people have picked up assorted bits of knowledge. Some there will rebuild to original at a cost of $200+ a 60mm scope that cost less the $50 to buy. But will say they are very happy doing it all and get immense pleasure from it. I think they have, or had, a sort of 60mm club, for the assorted variants of the old 60mm Tasco scopes.

Don't know what your other scopes are but willing to bet that you find that one great fun and great enjoyment.

@happy-kat, @ronin

Thank you for your advices concerning the eyepieces. I have a couple of ortho eyepieces with the 0.965" barrel, so I will be able to do some tests with the telescope. I am going to ask the question on Cloudy Nights as to what this refractor could be exactly. Normally, these vintage Japanese telescopes have fine optics, this one should be of the same quality. However sometimes, with old telescopes, one can get some surprise. With old telescopes, there is always some chance that somebody would have fiddled with the optics for cleaning or anything at some point, resulting in poor optic performance.

Nice find. Just be aware that some of the refractors designed for 0.965" eyepieces when fitted with 1.25" adaptors cut off some of the light as the internal baffling in the draw tube/s isnt designed for the larger glass. Towa is a typical example, one has to knock the baffles out of the draw tube to get the full light from the objective through.

Archived