NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Height of a pier ??

Spurred on by Saturn 5's impressive " no messing about gonna get this done " attitude, and Kaptain Klevtsov's VERY kind donation of some ally tubing, I have taken advantage of time in the basement and cracked on.

It's been cut down to 6' and re-bar as in in S5's added at the base. The question is with both fracs (the 66 and occasional use of the f11 80mm and a Newt (albeit a relatively short one ie 600mm) roughly how high from the surface to the top of the pier ????

I'm only gonna get one chance at this & would hate to make a *^%$#$#@ of it !!

I was thinking about 1000mm or 1100mm then the plate on top.

Karlo

Karlo,

The commercial pier I bought comes in at 1100mm from surface to top plate, this is fairly common for piers. 1000mm probably wouldn't be bad either, you don't want the end of the newt getting too high if viewing near the zenith.

Steve..

Just to give you some idea.

This pier is homemade and measures 1200mm tip to toe as it stands, As you can see, little ole me at 5' 6" is a we bit short :( .

I figure once i get a wedge i can drop it 7" -180mm or so and hopefully will be enough.

The odd looking thing with the shiny bit on top is me. :)

Jeff.

I did as george suggested and plummed for 1000mm from surface to top of pier (not including the plate for the mount). I've shortened the tube a tad too, so will be digging a 2'x2'x2' hole pretty much.

The tube has been sanded,cleaned and sprayed gloos black with Plasticote (purely cosmetic). Probably give it another coat of clear varnish, but not too fussed since it is aluminium !!

Finding a location in the garden that'll give some half decent views without staring straight at a streetlight or another of my trees has been a difficult choice, has to balance with the needs/requirements of the rest of the family :( .(ie swings and "boingy boing" (as the nipper calls it)) However I have been given a green light to cut down an offending tree. I giveth and I taketh away !! :) Cheers guys,

Karlo

Archived