Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Vibration help. Common Question

Stability of your mount should be planned. Mine has a definite pattern its toes land in. First, the factory leg pattern was not easy to work with. So I found I could move a pin used for the Azimuth 180 degrees to have a single leg Northward.

Then, when I found my "Sweet Spot" where I was afforded my best views for my given trash occupying the air in my yard (poles,wires, and two trees), I found a spot for the Northward leg, and where the two opposing legs have expansion slots in the walkway for the rearward legs to set in. That gives the key leg North a definite fixed 'socket' in a divot where 3 bricks intersect (pavers, sand set), and the rearward legs can creep if need be between day and night temperature swings. That allows minor flexture if needed. It gives me a distinct foundation for the tripods legs.

Then I use a digital level to make sure the top of my tripod is as level as I can get it. My thoughts about that is to try and remove as much human error as I can. That way the mount has a stable, plumb place to start from. I use the N-S and E-W as my leveling planes, and work to 0.0 degrees. So there's where I begin. And I've taken to covering my mount and keeping it in place from day to day, night to night. The reason is it holds it's Polar Alignment extremely well when not moved about.

My telescope is a smallish 80 mm with all in for guiding and aiming, the entire equipment weighs in in the neighborhood of 13.8 - 14 pounds. It sets on a solid Aluminium Vixen bar. Once balance was achieved I drilled two detents where my clamp screws engage the bar. That assures the telescope is clamped at the same spot each time it is mounted. This gives a repeat accuracy for it's mounting every time it is placed on the mount. And the balance the mount works with is consistent.

These are all refinements I developed through use and to achieve pier like use from a lower cost set-up. I discovered that when sitting at the mount area, when taking an exposure, if I so much as moved a foot on the concrete, it would show in the image being taken. Vibration. The way I've eliminated that was  to become wirelessly in control of the mount and telescope, and to use one of Tekkydaves ASCOM focusers. I let the mount sit out and quietly do its work holding pinpoint on a guide star while the deep space camera collects starlight.

The few times I travel with my portable equipment, I take 3 bricks with holes in them, and use them as the landing pads for my tripods toes. That makes a stable foot so the tripod does not sink or settle and change the basic set up.

But you have to think about and plan how to curtail the very things and human activities that can move or interfere with your equipment. Touching or walking about being two biggies.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived