Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ZWO 178 and 290

JayPea

Hi All,

One last question before I pull the trigger in an uncooled mono camera (for wide field and DSO, not planets).

I've been looking for a quantum efficiency plot for the mono IMX 178 and IMX 290 chips. All I could find was a colour plot for the 290 IMX290 quantum sensitivity but not a thing for the 178. What I also found was a Sony graphic IMX 178 v 290 sensitivity and the following text: IMX290: "Sensitivity @ 533 nm: 6.9 p" and IMX 178 "Sensitivity @ 533 nm: < 3.3 p".

So based on the second chart and the text I assume that the 290 pixel is just over twice as sensitive as the 179? 

That is a significant difference and would probably swing it for me even if it is a smaller and lower MP sensor.

Does anyone have links to the QE plots or any experience on these two cameras (I found some interesting ZWO 290 mono images).

Thanks, John

Hi John,

I would say that those types of camera are mostly used for planetary/lunar imaging. They both have small sensors and tiny pixels. Although, I imagine a cooled variant with a widefield setup would be ok in some circumstances.

I have an asi290, and the pixel size works well with my scope for planetary work. If it was cooled, I could probably bin the pixels (if mono rather than colour), put it on a short-focal-length OTA, and create images of smaller objects.

In terms of sensitivity, I think it's more difficult to compare sensitivity when the pixels are different sizes. I'd be surprised if there was a lot of difference once you allow for pixel size in the calculations. Somebody more knowledgeable than me might comment.

Archived