NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Webcams as Guiders??

Hi again everybody! More help please!

I've been given an old Creative Labs Live! Webcam Ultra which I've modded (1.25" barrel, IR filter out) as I was going to try & use it as an auto guider befor I have to shell out for a guide camera? I've read online a few times that these type of cameras make good guiders?? I'v a Celestron celestar 8 Deluxe which I've managed to get the ST-4 type port for the HCU to work with a Shoestring USB adapter & I've a Off-Axis Guider using a slide in prism (OVL type). I'm still in the process of cobbling it all together (!!!). Imaging will be with a DSLR to start off with.

I've downloaded several Astro pieces of software including PHD2 which seems to get the thumbs up for autoguiding. managed to eventually find drivers for the camera, but PHD2 doesn't see it?? Windows 7 on my laptop OK with it though.

I've selected the camera in the drop down menu under WDM cameras in PHD2 but it won't detect pixel size etc, I've searched online but can't find any of that kind of info?

So any dudes here using/used this kind of set up?? If I want to use PHD2 have I got to buy one of the cameras listed or is there a fudge to get it to recognise it?? If not is there any other good guider software that you know of that'll work with this camera??

appreciate the help......... again !!!

Looks good bobro, might have to look at developing something like that if I can't get this to work. I think it's all to do with software issues, I think I haven't got all the drivers. Now come across ASCOM drivers??? 

It would be great if there was a simple plug and play to all of this !!!

Thanks Michael. I'm trying to get my head around these ASCOM drivers at the mo, apparently I need platform 6 (?) to be able to put on drivers for Celestron, but to be honest I don't even know if i need them !! Getting confused now.........

Well I think the off axis is coming together if it'll all focus! Is it still good practice to try the focusing in the daytime it was when I started this years ago! So much has changed.....

20170502_120704.jpg

Archived