NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter 8/9 April 2017

geoflewis

My first Jupiter image of 2017 and first since I traded my 10" Meade LX200 for the C14 XLT last year.

2017-04-08-2356_3-L_AS25-IP-PSv2.jpg.0f451a39a23bd2b8f0c51e16e484f913.jpg

I now discovered that the image scale of the C14 with my TV x2 barlow through the ADC is too much for the 640x480 chip of my DBK21AU04.AS colour camera, so had to shoot this at prime focus, i.e. ADC, but no barlow. Guess what, I just ordered a 2" x2 TV Powermate which won't stretch through the ADC like the barlow, so that's another month of clouds - sorry everyone.

Seeing was average, but better than anything since, though I have tried. Not helped last night by the neighbour to my south boundary leaving a bonfire burning so lots of very local sooty cloud....!! Wind direction was SW so the cloud plume right across Jupiter, otherwise it would have been a clear sky...!!!

Cheers, Geof

1 minute ago, stepping beyond said:

Geof , that image is awesome ! I've had maybe 2 nights out when the smoke from wildfires and cloud cover hasn't ruined my attempts this season. I  received a new Zwo 174MM cool for xmas and it's been a challenge  starting on my Lrgb journey.

Thanks, I have the ASI120MM-S, but never used it for planetary only solar as until recently I didn't have any LRGB filters. I tested the camera last night and it will give a better image scale than the DBK, hence why I decided to buy the TV Powermate. Problem with my LRGB filters is that they are installed in my QSI for DSO and its a fag getting them out, but I'll give it a try then buy a 2nd set if it works. If not then the Powermate will still work with the DBK, so the investment should be worth it either way. Cheers, Geof

Archived