NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eq3 pro stalling at high slew speeds

MyRomeo

Hi all, long time no post. I've recently picked up a skywatcher 150P on EQ3 pro mount with synscan goto. All seems to work spot on at slew speeds up to 6 but if I go faster, such as during star alignment the motors starts for a moment before just stopping, the controller then freezes before initialising again. 

If if I skip alignment and manually control the mount at slew up to 6 it runs absolutely fine! 

Ive got a couple of theory's,

first firmware could be bad although I don't see why this would only affect higher speeds?

Second, could a motor need adjusting? Is there any gear alignment necessary or even possible on these mounts?

thirdly, I'm running the mount from a 9v mains adaptor, is this too low a voltage? The mount also came with a 15v adaptor but I'm cautious of overloading it. 

Fourth, and hopefully not, it's a dud. 

Has anyone had this before and what's the answer?

cheers!

m

I suspect it is a power problem of some kind, perhaps the supply is not capable of proving sufficient current at the higher speeds. Have you checked its spec against the recommended power source?

Thanks stu, the more I read up the more I suspect that too. I'll have to pick up a better power supply to try out. The only info I can find is 9-12v but a lot of people have recommended a 13.8v 5A one instead...

more reading needed!

Good news! I've just tried a 12v 2A PSU from a satellite box and the mount worked perfectly, so be it indoor away from the rain! I've got a spare 2.5A PSU so I'll be using that. 

Cheers for the help, now bring on some clear skies please!

Archived