NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

From Down Under. Carina Nebula (I think)

71 X 10 sec, F4, Canon 50mm 1.8 lens, iso 3200. DSS and PS. Static tripod

I think this is the Carina neb, but no doubt someone will tell me if I'm wrong! Imaged from my daughters garden which is a few yards from a major Melbourne Highway. Despite the LP, the skies are definitely better, even in the city suburbs, than they are in my UK home. I hoped to get lots of images with my 100D and Lens combinations but shortly after this, I got I'll and spent the last 6 weeks of my Aussie adventure in and out of hospital and was, at times, seriously ill.

So this is also my first submission for about three months. Hope to get back into the swing of stuff in the next weeks and months. I also imaged the MW at 15mm and will have a go at processing that soon.

58eb99b097bbe_Carina50mmFinal.thumb.png.a58b287af2ca5caa0a775f80ae2696fb.png

I have no idea what the nebula is- I'll take your word for it Tim:wink:

I'm of the South Africa and Zimbabwe in June with my 10X50's and am hoping for skies just like the ones you had a brief opportunity to experience.

Hope you are fully recovered (or at least well on the way).

Matt

Hi Tim, spot on. It's one of my favorite nebulae. The nebula on the right is IC2944 (Running Chicken Nebula). Just to give you an idea what Carina looks like through a telescope:

58ec25c988d00_carinasmall.thumb.jpg.6cbe81cd9f0f2a5d38198e989e631764.jpg

It's big enough to fill the sensor (this picture is resampled to 25%)

Sorry to read about your misadventure Down Under.

HJ

Archived