SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter 06/04/2017

Piero

I feel quite nervous about posting in this section, particularly considering that Mike will likely post another one of his super sketches! 

Anyway, I decided to post a sketch about the features I saw on Jupiter tonight with this new HR2.4mm+TV60. The seeing was good tonight with just a breeze time to time. 150x (0.4mm exit pupil) on Jupiter with a 60mm is quite a lot, but this HR2.4mm works very well. 

(Sketch / description follows the view using a refractor. )

After spending nearly 1h observing the planet, the following collects as many details as I could see:

- NEB with one (possibly two close) curved dark feature at the level of the GRS, I think it was a festoon. This was grey/dark blue

- SEB with the GRS. To the right, the SEB was delimited by two lanes. To the left of the GRS the SEB "lifted up" increasing the contrast of the GRS. The GRS was brown/orange to my eye.

- One lane above the NEB, likely the North Temperate Belt (NTB). 

- Above the NTB, the surface was white again, but gradually became "dirty white" moving to North.

- Sourth of the SEB, the was a gradually darker area (south polar region). Two lanes were detectable to the right, with some white in between.

- Not shown in the picture but interesting to see: the four Moons. The Moons were very little dots except the one to the far right, which was noticeably bigger than the others. After coming back I checked the Moons positions on S&T. These were: Europa, Io, Jupiter, Callisto, Ganymede. 

jupiter_20170406_TV60_HR24.thumb.jpg.f401669244cd3e612537c648e970a161.jpg

For a planet like Jupiter, this test was quite challenging in my opinion. I would be very happy if somebody with more experience can confirm (or not) the positions of the above features, possibly using a larger aperture. 

p.s. No judgement about my "artistic skills" though! I know to be pretty bad..!

I had a great session with Jupiter tonight, TV85 and Mak 102, lots of detail. Even at "only" 100x, it was very nice indeed, some of the best views I've had. I pushed it up to 200x, but went back down again as the image got too grainy and 100x-150x was more enjoyable.

I feel confident in confirming your descriptions. The GRS has very nice colour lately, and tonight was no different.

Good effort - I can clearly see what you've tried to record. Keep it up! Thanks for sharing.

:happy11:

I was clouded out Piero, so no comparative sketch I'm afraid! Looking at your drawing I'd say it looks like the features you've recorded are pretty accurate, so never be fearful of posting your observations. It may be helpful if you cut out a cardboard template of Jupiter for drawing around, which makes it easier to place features reasonably accurately.

I like your sketch very much and can see there's a lot of detail recorded in it. I hope were going to see more of your observations in the near future. :thumbsup:

Mike

Archived