SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Refractor Decision

I am an imager-100%.  TAK 130NFB or TEC 140?  I already have a Televue np101is and C11Edge--so I am looking for a longer focal length refractor (800-1100mm) to get the mid FOV.  It seems to be down to these 2 (though I am tempted by the Televue np127is for the focal ratio and maybe the WO 123FLT for the cost (I know less about this scope than any of teh others).

Rodd

Although I don't have direct experience my gut would go with the TEC for its oiled triplet design.

Just to muddy the waters a little I'll chuck the CFF 160 into the mix :evil4:.

3 hours ago, DaveS said:

Although I don't have direct experience my gut would go with the TEC for its oiled triplet design.

Just to muddy the waters a little I'll chuck the CFF 160 into the mix :evil4:.

Probably to heavy--and the cost is unknown.

2 hours ago, tony210 said:

I am interested in your dilemma as considering a similar new scope - what about Esprit 150? - some people are getting good results with these and a flattener- Tony

I looked into it--at 32 lbs, might be too much for my mount.  My photographic capacity is 45 lbs or thereabouts.  It depends on what the rings and plate weigh, plus any other things I may need (adapters, reducers, flattners, etc).  I would be at 38 pounds with the OTA and camera--I guess I should find out if the rings and mounting plate are included in that 150.   But......TAK/TEC vs the espririt?  I have long since cured my aperture fever--so it is tough passing up 2 scopes that are considered top notch.  Maybe the Esp 150 is as good.  Odon't know (be nice to have the extra mm--though 150mm is not 6 inches--its 5.9.  That seems unfortunate.  Can't say you have a 6" refractor!

Rodd

Archived