NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

hybrid scope

Phil

"Hybrid" is referring to that fact that a Maksutov uses both lens and mirror, probably trying to appeal to the uninitiated as sounding scientific as does the electronic finder which is just a bog standard red dot finder.

If you are looking for something very portable it is probably ok, but the planets would look small even at 90x mag. Plus the small aperture would only show the brighter DSOs.

A quick calc shows that assuming apparent FOV of 50o this gives an actual FOV of 1.74 (30x) to 0.5 degrees (90x). The Pleiades would fill the whole of the first field, the full Moon the whole of the second.

A second hand 70 or 80mm Skywatcher would cost about the same and would give brighter views.

Scopes n Skies seem to be the only listing on the net with these scopes.

The obvious question is what do you want to see with it?

Mike

Thanks for the quick reply Mike, I'm going for a Skywatcher 1145/130pm for my first scope personally (settled on planet obs initially), but I was just hunting around for the best price, saw this and the hybrid bit threw me, hadn't heard it before, thought i was missing out on something important, but obviously not :) - as you say, if you didnt know (or didnt have an astronomy forum to ask :thumbright: ) then you wouldnt have an idea about it......

It's more of a bird watching scope then a telescope.

I used to have a Kowa TN ?, I cannot remember what number, that had a x30 to x90 adjustable zoom. Fanntastic for bird watching and llooking at the moon, but as for astronomy use, not very good.

Phil

Glad I could help.

Can I offer some more advice - Please do not buy the 114 or the 130 scopes. Slightly long but it needs explaining.

If you read posts on SGL lots of people buy the 130 (or worse the 114), but then put out messages asking why they cannot get decent views of the planets, etc. The 130PM has a short focal length - only 650mm. The ads may say the 130 wll give 250x mag but only with a 2.5mm EP and an eye relief about as long - a real strain on the eye. At 130x mag with supplied 10mm EP and 2x barlow you will not be much better off than if you bought that little Mak.

I would really ask you to consider buying something like the 150mm f8 1200mm (not 750mm) if it's within your budget. If it is not wait and save up. You will get brighter views and more magnification from the 150mm which will make the planets look a lot better and you will have more options on viewing later.

Attached are two views I have generated showing Jupiter through each. Image 1 - The circle shows the FOV for the 130mm scope with 10mm EP and 2 x barlow giving 130x mag. Image 2 - the circle shows the FOV for the 150mm f1200 with same 10mm EP and 2 x barlow giving 240x mag.

Need I say more.

I will now wait for the howls of indignation from 130 owners, but after years of experience there is no substitue for aperture with a decent focal length for viewing planets.

Mike

GAC

Galloway Astronomy Centre

how much bigger is that size scope physically? as i would bee looking to stick it in the car to get to proper dark areas due to the levels of LP - ie would it fit in an Astra? I guess you are on about the skywatcher 150PL?, if so, £200 is not too bad, to be fair, only £50 more than the 130 - for this size of scope, would another brand be better, reading these forums, SW seems to be an ok brand for reflector scopes........as i said above, it would mainly for planetary obs and a bit of DSO if possible, hence looking at reflectors (Only used binos atm, so not too clued up on the scope side of things).

how much bigger is that size scope physically? as i would bee looking to stick it in the car to get to proper dark areas due to the levels of LP - ie would it fit in an Astra? I guess you are on about the skywatcher 150PL?, if so, £200 is not too bad, to be fair, only £50 more than the 130 - for this size of scope, would another brand be better, reading these forums, SW seems to be an ok brand for reflector scopes........as i said above, it would mainly for planetary obs and a bit of DSO if possible, hence looking at reflectors (Only used binos atm, so not too clued up on the scope side of things).

I have a SW Skyliner 200P which is an 8 inch newtonian on a dobsonian mount (ie: simple up and down, left and right). As the scope lifts off the mount for transport very easily it will fit in a small car quite easily.

I second what has been said above about going for as much aperture as you can. If you look around carefully and can wait a bit you can get the Skyliner 200's for around £200. 8 inches is a great aperture to get you started - it keeps many going through a whole lifetime :)

John

Yes it was the 150PL, it is a lot bigger - the tube would be about 4ft long (twice the 130PM), but should fit across the back seat of the Astra. The main difference is the weight of the mount which is much heavier, but also more stable. The mount can be fitted with motors (as an extra) on one or both axis.

Skywatcher make very good scopes for the money. Here is a link to a review of the scope http://nightskies.net/scopetest/scopes/explorer/150PL.html

Mike

Archived