NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi

I have been searching on't tinternet for books aimed at amatuer beginners :oops: (amatuer beginners! me being silly)

Of all the books I have found they have all been reviewed by readers from such places as the USA and Canada, not that I'm knocking them, far from it.

I did find one that was specific to what can be seen in the night sky when viewed from the UK, but now can not remember anything about it, except that I found it on Amazon and stupidly didn't book mark the page.

Anyone now of such a book?

Pete

Hi Pete,

what kind of book are you after? Want do you want from it? Do you want to "use" it or just read it for fun?

If you want something totally general, something like Patrick Moore's Guide to Stars and Planets, or his much larger Atlas of the Universe. The complete guide to Stargazing is pretty damn comprehensive too.

For observing, consider the books I reviewed.

HTH

Andrew

First of all, credit where credit is due:

Spaceman Spiff is one of the best handles I've seen on any forum. Calvin & Hobbes were pure genius!

Ok...

One of the most helpful books I read when I began learning where things were, and what they looked like through the eyepiece was Star Watch by Phil Harrington.

I'm in London, and although not specifically for the UK, this book covers Northen Hemisphere objects, including planets, Messier objects, and some bright NGC objects. Most deep sky objects are accompanied by a sketch which give the reader an idea what the object looks like through their telescope. It's the book that 'turned the light on' (no jokes please :) ) for me.

Very useful, I recommend it without hesitation.

http://www.philharrington.net/swtch.htm

Thanks All

Glad you like the handle, couldn't resist it 'calvin & Hobbes' superb characters, I often wonder if the author has a kid of his own like that, or he was like it as a kid.

I was in Borders yesterday and saw some of your recomendations

Astro; 'Use it'. I have already looked at the 'Atlas of the Universe', though well written and the images superb, not really what I was looking for. I think that one comes in to the catagory of 'just reading'.

'Guide to Stars & Planets'. I Think Patrick Moore is brilliant, bit to heavy for me at the moment though, I tried to read a few of his artitcles before he completely loses me a lot of the time.

Canuck; Browsed through your reccomendation, very helpful so bought that one. :thumbright:

Blinky; Didn't see 'Turn Left at Orion' on the shelf, next time I go will look out for it

Pete

Don't forget your local library! Even small libraries have fairly weel stocked astronomy sections which you can browse and borrow to your hearts content for free! (or a small cost if they haven't got the book you want and have to order it in. Still cheaper than buying it!)

(Calvin and Hobbes a favorite of mine too - hence below!)

Hi

Already tried my local library, very limited as it is only a small one. They can actually purchase books you ask for when they can - subject to usual financial constraints of local councils - the only thing that stops me is the borrowing to my hearts content thing. Is a pain at times, I had a book out for something like 3 years once that was out of print, thinking about it, it could have been longer I just kept renewing it. Eventually bought it from them

Thanks anyway

Pete

American books shouldn't be a problem. They see similar skies to us, perhaps 5 for 6 hours later and in Florida are closer to the equator.

One book that I have found useful is "The Stars" by H.A. Rey, 160 pages - first published in 1952. It has a review by Einstein in 1953 "Many thanks for your lucid and stimulating book. I hope it will find the interest it deserves".

Another, more a textbook, over 2 million sold is "Astronomy" sixth edition by Dinah L. Moche.

Both can be obtained on Amazon (UK) for £17.

John

Not wanting to hijack post... Whilst on the subject, can anyone recommend a field guide for the moon?

I would like photos / sketches to be shown as per refractor use.

(Newtonian orientation would also be good)

Compact size for outdoor use would be great.

Thanks

Jon

Thanks All

Glad you like the handle, couldn't resist it 'calvin & Hobbes' superb characters, I often wonder if the author has a kid of his own like that, or he was like it as a kid.

Funny thing. I used to own a collection (lent it to a friend unfortunately) that had a running commentary on the comic as the book progressed by Bill Watterson, the author. According to him this was a common conception people had (obviously, as did I), he said the character was not so much a reflection of his own child (I don't think he even had any!) or a sibling, but a reflection of himself. I wish I could remember the title of the book, it gives great insight into where he drew inspiration. For example I remember one where Calvin & his dad are having a disagreement and Calvin finishes the conversation with "Sometimes it is black and white dad!" ..he said at the time he was embattled with the syndicate that distributed Calvin & Hobbes over an issue (iirc it was promo items- stuffed toys and the like, which he was staunchly opposed to). I have a lot of respect for the man as a result of that book (beyond the cartoon, even!) how many people would turn away millions in licensing contracts? ~think about Calvin's relationship to Hobbes, is he 'real' or just a stuffed toy? Bill did not want Hobbes' reality defined (or confined?) by a stuffed animal on a toy store shelf.

Archived