Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Spider Orientation is Important? DOH!

Hi

Just had a thought about my spider orientation as I continue to sort out my collimation on my 130P-DS. Still getting tilt.

I always thought that as long as all the vanes are the same length(as far as I can tell), it didn't matter which way the spider went back in. But I just realised that may be it does.

One of the 3 collimation screws is inline with one of the vanes and in all pictures I have seen this is also directly opposite the focuser, either near or far side. Being in this orientation I would assume it makes the tilt operation easier to do.

I've not seen this mentioned anywhere before. Perhaps it should have been obvious. DOH!

This might help someone else on the same intellectual level :iamwithstupid::grin:

:)

We learn the most when we dismantle and makes mistakes I reckon!

When you say you have "tilt", how does that manifest itself?

Also, as you seem to gone full on with the fixing, have you squared the focuser to the tube/optical plane?

1 minute ago, Tim said:

:)

We learn the most when we dismantle and makes mistakes I reckon!

When you say you have "tilt", how does that manifest itself?

Also, as you seem to gone full on with the fixing, have you squared the focuser to the tube/optical plane?

Agreed, that's how I learn most things, by breaking them first!

Tilt as in tilted focal plane evident in my images.

I have attempted to square the focuser by the usual means and I'm not entirely sure it has helped, after all, I had a flat field before I squared it!

12 hours ago, richyrich_one said:

Tilt as in tilted focal plane evident in my images.

I have attempted to square the focuser by the usual means and I'm not entirely sure it has helped, after all, I had a flat field before I squared it!

We're all waiting for an image :)

When you say you had a "flat field", how do you mean?

Archived