NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Alan Gee Telecompressor Mark II

Stu

Having boroughs this in a bit of a whim from Helen, I'm really looking forward to giving it a go in the C925.

It takes the focal ratio down to f5.9 from f10, and also flattens the field. It appears nicely designed with very thin barrel walls to allow maximum field stop at 35mm. It fits inside a 2" barrel I had already with T2 fittings and this screws into my Baader BBHS mirror diagonal.

I'm not totally sure of the field stop of the ES 20mm 100 degree, but the 21mm Ethos is listed as 36.2mm so I would expect to be able to use it without vignetting, giving x69 with a 1.44 degree field potentially, we will see!

The 30mm 82degree is likely to show vignetting as it will have a field stop just a little less than the 31mm Nag at 42mm.

Details of this telecompressor are here:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p732_Baader-Alan-Gee-f-5-9-Telecompressor-Mark-II-for-Schmidt-Cassegrains.html

Pics attached of how it fits into the diagonal. There are spacers I can play around with if necessary to get it working to its optimum so perhaps some fiddling around to be done.

Will report back when I've actually had a chance to use it!

IMG_9458.JPG

IMG_9459.JPG

IMG_9460.JPG

I've heard of this device but, until now, I'd not seen one or really knew much about what it does.

Sounds an interesting addition to the tool box :smiley:

By minimalist, do you mean minimal amount of equipment with maximum versatility ?

Sounds like a good goal to me !

14 minutes ago, John said:

I've heard of this device but, until now, I'd not seen one or really knew much about what it does.

Sounds an interesting addition to the tool box :smiley:

By minimalist, do you mean minimal amount of equipment with maximum versatility ?

Sounds like a good goal to me !

Thanks John.

The definition of minimalist seems to be evolving by the day ;)

When I first coined the phrase, I was heading down to just the Tak and the C925. Since then the Vixen Fluorite has joined the gang, along with the PST Mod which is technically still on evaluation but hopefully will be mine very soon. I think this lot covers most bases for what I want to do for a few years, so I'm trying to avoid looking at additional temptations! Very difficult though :)

I am very much looking forward to having the two solar scopes side by side on the AZEQ5 this summer, both with binoviewers in them, should be great. Assuming we get some sunshine that is!!

Likewise, getting the C925 under a dark sky again will be great at PSP coming up soon. I'm hoping the Alan Gee (who was he??) adds an interesting bit of versatility to the scope.

Archived