NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Starlight Xpress SXV-M5C CCD camera

jaygpoo

Hi out there. I have the chance to buy a secondhand starlight Xpress SXV-MSC which looks in good working order. My problem is its age as they where around in 2004. The tech has changed so much but not always for the better and the old camera were built to last. The sensors have changed  but this CCD does have a good write up.  The Pix size is 9.8x6.3 I think the sensor is 4.9x3.65,  Any advice from experience would be most welcome.Jay

Be aware that the 4.9 mm by 3.65 mm chip is tiny. The chips we use here are 24 x 36. The modern Sony chips are considered small but they are still way bigger than 4.9 x 3.6. Even at short focal length your field of view might prove exasperatingly restricted.

Olly

I image with an SXVR-H9 which is 8.98x6.71 and don't mind the FOV that much although for some objects like M42 I'd have liked just a little more. I used to image with an MX716 which was 6.47x4.83 and that was quite a tiny chip. I used it with an f3.3 reducer to get a reasonable fov, ironically a little bit wider a fov than with the SXVR-H9 @ f6.3.

The other thing to bear in mind is the resolution. The M5C is only 500x582 pixels.

If you don't mind me asking, what price have you seen the M5C at? I have a old MX716 with the USB1.1 interface box that I'm considering selling, just no idea what price point would be reasonable.

Edit: Focal reducers used with a 2000 focal length scope.

Archived