Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Was it Jupiter?

b.hotep

First off, I'm no astronomer but do quite regularly look up at the skies when I'm outside having a cigarette at night, or in need of divine assistance! Last night (August 12th, around 11pm), the moon was quite large and bright but low down in a mainly clear sky, but I was drawn to another bright object to the NW of it (or in the 10 o'clock position, if you like).

Until this morning, I assumed it was Venus as I thought this was the only planet you could see with the naked eye on a regular basis. However, after reading around, it seems it may have been Jupiter instead! It did seem big in comparison to whenever I have seen Venus before. I got the camcorder out to get a better look with the 2000x digital zoom (like I say, I'm no astronomer!) but couldn't keep my hand steady long enough to see it! Is it likely to be my first sighting of Jupiter? If so, amazing! I might even buy a 'scope now!

Thanks for your time.

Indeed, that was Jupiter.

It may surprise you to learn that most of the planets are naked eye visible, conditions permitting. I remember a few years ago pointing out to my son, 5 of the 9(?) planets (6 if you count this one!) - Jupiter, Saturn, Mars, Venus & Mercury all in one go.

Steve

Thanks. That has surprised me. I will definitely look harder and longer at the night sky in future and, Ed, I may even invest in some bins!

It was a very interesting experience (made all the more interesting because I had just watched Cloverfield, although I will definitely deny I was looking for aliens when I cast my eyes upward last night if anyone asks!)

Thanks again.

Archived