NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Some red stars to warm up

Nyctimene

Last evening I was out with the 8" f/4 Hofheim Instruments Dob and the Blue Penguin (a Skywatcher Infinity 76 N). At -6° C, conditions were sub-average with a slight haze; NELM 4.9 mag (UMi), M31 overhead just could be made out naked eye. I started with the search for the carbon star W Orionis (thanks, Olly, for the hint!) with the 8", which was rather easy. Using the two southernmost stars of Orion's shield, Pi 5 and Pi 6, as pointers, I followed the connection line SEward for the same distance and got it at first try. The 5.9mag star appeared to me, using 40x, in deep orange-red, a lovely sight, way more to the red side compared to Beteigeuze or Antares. W Ori, as I learned on the net, was the first Carbon star detected (by Secchi 1868, Vatican Observatory) and is one of the very few Carbon stars, that can be seen naked eye (- no success this evening).

Next I went to the better known R Leporis (Hind`s Crimson star). I took the bearings from Eta Orionis (south of Mintaka) to Rigel and followed the line to SSW for the distance Eta-Rigel. With some meandering, R Lep came quickly into view. Shining 2mag fainter than W Ori, the red-orange colour was slightly deeper red to my eye than W Ori, giving a spectacular contrast to the surrounding stars. When you are looking for it, you'll be absolutely sure, when you have finally found it!

Looking into the Pocket Sky Atlas, I was attracted by the small galaxy NGC 1700 in Eridanus close by. At 100x mag, i could make out its bright stellarlike nucleus.

Heading NW, I saw for the first time the open cluster NGC 1662. First I spotted it with 7x50 bins; the 8" showed at 40x a loose, sparsely populated cluster with a very distinct shape (which has led to it's nickname, the "Klingon Starship"). Looks really like some technical construction!

An asterism new to me I found N of Hyades: "Davis´ Dog" (Omega marks the nose, 53 one of it's eyes, 51 and 56 the tips of the dog's pointy ears; Kappa-1, Kappa-2 and Upsilon with 72 the crooked tail). Easily visible with bins and the Penguin at 15X, its shape was not quite as obvious to me. But, thinking of other celestial dogs - Canis Minor, or Canes Venatici, I won't complain.

M 42 at the end of the session. Trapezium good resolved, but without E and F components.

The Blue Penguin sat obediently by and was also fed with some starlight breadcrumbs. At 15x mag, M 42 showed it's shape, including "wings", quite well and with some contrast. Three of the four trapezium stars could be made out at the limit of vision, using 30x mag. I finished with Hyades, Davis' Dog and Pleiades.

Once again, I was pleased and contented, having made use of a not-so-perfect night, that still had showed me so many exciting and new views. Therefore: Don't wait for the perfect night or best observing site- just go out, when it's clear!

And so to bed.

Stephan

2 hours ago, Nyctimene said:

Davis' Dog and Pleiades.

Davis' Dog ,,   I know Sirius,  C. Maj & Min ets but that is new to me, I must do a chart and add it to my list for 'next night out with a Penguin' :D

Thanks for an interesting report, I have added Hind's and your others to my next-time notes as well.

The Pleiades never fail to please the eye ! and a perfect fit in the penguin at 30x ( when I can find it and frame it ! not at all easy in the penguin)

12 hours ago, SilverAstro said:

Have you come across a picture of the fabled dog of Davis (Herr Davis ?) ?

I must be sadly lacking in imagination ! because I cant see it / get it  , just a sprinkling of yet more stars !!

Ooh - my mistake!, you'll have to flip over Davis' dog!

i've just done some research, and got to Phil Harrington's site "Binocular Universe" from Nov 29, 2013 : "Connect the Dots", pointing out some binocular asterisms. To quote Phil:

"The creative eye of Massachusetts observer John Davis more than a decade ago came up with a heavenly canine now known to many as Davis's Dog. From west to east, the group consists of Omega, 51, 53, 56, 65, 67, 69 and 70 Tauri. Omega marks the tip of the dog's nose, 53 represents one of its eyes, while 51 and 56 form the tips of the dog's pointy ears. The crooked tail is outlined by the arc of Kappa-1, Kappa-2, Upsilon, and 72 Tauri, while its body and legs are formed from a pair of fainter triangular patterns to the south"

So just vice-versa; no wonder, why we both could not really recognise the dog's shape!

Sorry for that - I had found a stick figure of the dog in the PSA, that I had drawn a few years ago (I don't recall the source), which misled me now.

Thanks for your watchful eyes!

I've corrected it all now in my first post.

Stephan

1 hour ago, Nyctimene said:

Omega marks the tip of the dog's nose, 53 represents one of its eyes, while 51 and 56 form the tips of the dog's pointy ears. The crooked tail is outlined by the arc of Kappa-1, Kappa-2, Upsilon, and 72 Tauri, while its body and legs are formed from a pair of fainter triangular patterns to the south"

Ah ! Woof !! I see it all now :) , yes very good. Thanks for that and for the pointer to Phil H.  I downloaded his TUBA some time ago but was not aware of his "Binocular Universe" site.

Archived