NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Nexstar 130 SLT Slew "Issue"

I just acquired my first telescope a few months ago. And it is doing wonders for me. One issue I have with it though, is that the slewing motor has to run for a short bit, before it actually grips and moves the telescope. So if I've moved it in one direction, it has to run for a bit to be able to move in the other direction. On high slew speeds, this is not an issue at all, as it will just grip after like 1/4 of a second. But when trying to center a star in say my 9mm eyepiece, it becomes more of a problem, as it takes a long time for it to move on the low speed settings.
Is this something that I can be fix or improve by myself with any of the screws or settings in the actual telescope? I am fairly sure that it wasn't like this from the beginning. Here is a video example that should show what I am talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeEF_Zwdq7g

31 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

Sounds like backlash - see page 23 of the instruction manual. You can make adjustments. Also low speed is just that and it can take a while.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I did remember hearing about this, but for some reason thought it was something else, as it was also quite evident when having it off of the mount as in the video. Need to experiment with those settings in the coming nights! :)

As Peter says sounds like backlash, and if you go to sort it out just be a little careful as on a mechanical system like these I would expect there to be some present. They are not that high a precision device. What people do is then tighten it all up too much then motors and clucthes seize or get damaged.

Also be 100% sure that it is backlash as one of mine does nothing initially, then moves. I am reasonably certain it is not backlash but simply time for the system to respond to the pressing of the button. Makes making small adjustments to center things a case of press - hold a it - let go, repeat as required. Yes it is an old and likely slow system.

Archived