Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astrotortilla using Linux direct? - questions for the coders here

StevieDvd

Hi,

keeping my knowledge updated in IT means playing with products like Docker and Bash for Windows. So I set myself a challenge to create a platesolver setup with each.

Both work to a certain extent in that installing Astrometry locally solves images, then adding Ansvr (so it can be used in software like SG Pro etc that cater for that call style) works too.

What I have not been able to do (yet) is to get either working with Astrotortilla (AT).  I know this can be used with Cygwin but that's not a challenge :-)

So have any of you coders here grabbed the AT code and modified it in any way?

I feel there are 2 options to explore further:

• Use the command line (like Cygwin) to call Bash for Windows.  Slightly different call format so should be the easiest
  • Get AT to call a local astrometry like SG Pro

Sourceforge is great for gettting the code but just getting AT build 'as is' would be my first step and as I'm using Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise makes it more interesting getting the build componts on the right versions.  I only dabble in code myself and not a professional coder but have a bash at any code language that can be googled, so Python is new to me but that won't stop me.

Just  wanted to see if anyone here had done any 'tweaking' of the AT code for any reason, I doubt my code would be good enough to put back as a branch but might be worth mentioning if I manage to get something that works.

I would be happy if I could just run the code AT code interactively (or in debug) at first and not need to build the installer

Any comments welcome.

Remember I am not  struggling to get a Platesolver setup and failing, the excellent work guiding the setup  of SGP, AT,  Platesolve2 etc (done by fellow coders/astro members) helped me achieve that quite a while ago. This is simply brain exercise for me and keeping the young coders at work on their toes :-)

PS If you know/use Docker  - there are already 2 Astrometry containers on the Docker hub that work, once index fields are added. Bash for Windows is a also getting quite interesting too.

Cheers

Steve

Archived