NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Problem importing Canon RAW files into MaximDL

SlimPaling

Hi ...

I am taking my first tentative steps into Astro Imaging .... I knew it was going to be a steep learning curve!!!

Initially I am planning to use my Canon 5D MkIII on my APM refractor and then try to use MaximDL to process anything that I get. I am starting to pull my hair out!

Because the weather outside today has been rubbish I decided to take a couple of Dark Frames on my Canon camera and import them directly onto my PC from the memory card while I have been in the warmth of my house.

I can get Maxim to open these files but that's as far as I can get. I have then asked Maxim to save these files as a fit file. No problem thus far.

If I then ask Maxim to actually bring these into the calibration window it does not recognise them ... dead end!

I have spent the rest of today searching the 'net for answers but I have been unable to find any real clues. Looking on some old postings on this forum I did spot somebody suggesting that the "Fits Header" needs to be edited so that Maxim will recognise the files ... but did not say how the header needs to be changed.

Can some kind person give me some idea of how I can get Maxim to recognise my files?

Once I get past this stage I will be putting my Canon camera onto my scope ..... will I have the same problems or will Maxim save the files correctly automatically so that I can calibrate and process without the above problems?

Regards Mike

Eventu

You don't put the images in the calibration window like DSS, just open them all then go to calibrate.

Dave

If you don't capture your calibration files using Maxim you can edit the Fits header, bit time consuming if you've got a lot of them or you can do them all at once using a batch file.

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

You don't put the images in the calibration window like DSS, just open them all then go to calibrate.

Dave

If you don't capture your calibration files using Maxim you can edit the Fits header, bit time consuming if you've got a lot of them or you can do them all at once using a batch file.

Hi Dave ..

Are you able to tell me what exactly what to add/change in the Fits Headers? I can't find this anywhere.

Mike

9 minutes ago, SlimPaling said:

Hi Dave ..

Are you able to tell me what exactly what to add/change in the Fits Headers? I can't find this anywhere.

Mike

Open image, click on Fits tab at top to open FITS header window, click on edit, click on drop down list and choose image type, type in "dark frame" save and close.

Dave

Fits header.PNG

12 minutes ago, SlimPaling said:

Hi Dave .... many thanks for this ... works great!

Mike

If you've got a lot to do you can record a batch file macro using the script editor thingy and do them all at once.

Dave

Archived