Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A few UV/IR Pics

Have taken a few subs using a full-spectrum 1100d and Takumar f4/200mm fitted with a B+W 403 filter, over the last month or so. Although the filter is sold as a uv pass photographic filter it also passes some near ir. Baader do a better, almost narrowband, uv pass filter but it costs way too much! One of these days I might get a filter that blocks the ir but it looks like they have to be shipped from the States. They aren't too expensive but I dislike having to pay $18 shipping just for a filter...

M45 - 7 x 300s cropped and resized to 40pc The main stars must radiate a lot of uv...

M45UV_7x300s_dssCrop40pc.png

6Gem/M35 4x600s resized to 30pc of the original Clearly no Monkey Head or Jellyfish visible!

6Gem_M35_UV_4x600s_dss30pc.png

Aldeberan 26x120s cropped

AldeberanUV_26x120s_dssCropBW.png

M44 13x300s cropped and resized to 30pc

M44_UV_13x300s_dssBW30pcCrop.png

Only Aldeberan includes darks along with the flats and bias frames. I used old flats (not taken with the filter) which is probably why they all seem uneven - I should probably take some fresh! Still, I was quite pleased with what I managed to get, and the filter reduces lp better than even a Baader 7nm Ha. Of course, zero nebulousity with this setup but you can't have everything!

Louise

3 hours ago, Herra Kuulapaa said:

CMOS sensor is generally more sensitive to NIR (~750nm) than UVA (~350nm) and it may be that most of the signal in your images is in fact NIR.

Yeah, I'll probably have get an ir-blocking and/or uv-blocking filter in order to distinguish :) I could try a standard uv-blocking photo filter but I don't know how much near-ir it passes. So far this year the weather here has been awful :( No chance of trying anything for the next week, at least.

Louise

5 hours ago, Herra Kuulapaa said:

I've noticed it takes quite strong IR suppression to dig that UV signal visible.

I'm using the UG1, which is a di band filter:

But when combined with the 2mm S8612 it cuts all the NIR away.

Hi

Yeah, I was thinking of getting the S8612 (mentioned above) but they are quite pricey and only seem to be available from the usa...

Archived