Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Crystal Ball anyone?

Grierson

It's now been almost a year since a local evening course whetted my interest in astronomy and imaging in particular. At that time the received view was to buy the best mount that could be afforded so in my case I went for the EQ5 and I subsequently added motors to it. It was also said that avoiding GOTO mounts would prompt newcomers like me to find their own way around the night sky. I've done this with a little bit of success but I still find that it takes a fair amount of time to find my targets , particularly since 'clear skies' have been in short supply lately, and thus the loss of imaging time.

I am therefore giving serious thought moving to an HEQ5 GOTO. I've seen the odd advert that seems to imply that the current breed of mounts in this category/level will be overtaken by new designs.

I therefore pose the question to those with a crystal ball or indeed those solid with information: 'In my position would you go the HEQ5 route now or wait a while to see what developments are on the horizon?'

(I do appreciate that, as with cameras and other similar kit where rapid development is the norm, that you could wait for ever and in the end buy nothing!) 

Any comments would be appreciated. - John

If you are ready for a GOTO mount now, get one. You'd get an HEQ5 for £450-550 second hand. It will last you many years. And even if a new mount comes out, I can't imagine it would knock more than £100 off the second hand sale price of your HEQ5 so even if you wanted to then upgrade the most you'd loose would be £100 but you'd have had however many months use of the GOTO on your 5.

just do it :)

You are probably right jambouk. :happy11: Trouble is that, although I'm not by any means a marketeers 'early adopter', when ever I buy tech. it is immediately superceeded by a new model resulting in the value of my kit dropping like a stone. So I'm trying to take some advantage this time. 

Archived