SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M42 ZWO AS1600MC-Cool

Nick Smith

Hi Guys

It's been while since my last post here.  I now have a new set-up in the Obs.; C9.25 + hyperstar, using the new ASI1600 colour cam.  I am not new to imaging, but I am new to deep sky stuff.  This is 100 60 seconds exposures of M42, very amateur processing in Photoshop; any advice most welcome!  Left the satellite trail in for authenticity....

Cheers

Nick

M42100.jpg

That is a very nice capture with a very interesting camera Nick!

I assume you must have taken some shorter exposures to save the core (Trapezium) from blowing out. Excellent processing too. I would not be able to stop myself from bringing out more colour but that is just a matter of taste. I think you have a slight tracking/guiding issue since the stars are a bit elongated. If you think it is an issue I recently found a convenient way to fix that using a Photoshop plug-in called Focus Magic.

5 hours ago, gorann said:

That is a very nice capture with a very interesting camera Nick!

I assume you must have taken some shorter exposures to save the core (Trapezium) from blowing out. Excellent processing too. I would not be able to stop myself from bringing out more colour but that is just a matter of taste. I think you have a slight tracking/guiding issue since the stars are a bit elongated. If you think it is an issue I recently found a convenient way to fix that using a Photoshop plug-in called Focus Magic.

Thanks for the comment Goran

I had a set of three second exposures that I use for the core

Yes my old CGE mount needs a bit of an overhaul, there is some serious periodic error on it!  I am familiar with focus magic-it is a useful tool for sharpening lunar and planetary images.  I used it to fix the star trailing on this version below.  I have got a very colourful version of this which I briefly posted then took off in the name of good taste, but I could show it if you like?

M42100-2.jpg

Archived