End of a nice evening

I was out last night for an hour or 2 browsing the clusters in Perseus, Taurus, Auriga and surroundings, lovely clear transparent sky and topped it off with a few short captures with the nifty fifty, nowt special, just for my own personal memory album really.

All of these are 5x8s, ISO 400 @ F3.5 with the Nikon D3200 piggybacked on the Evostar's tube ring, no motors or anything, just centred on a star in the EP between frames to keep framing somewhere near.

Virtually no processing, stacked in DSS with sigma clipping, slight levels, curves & saturation adjustment in photoshop, that's it.

Fair few NGC's & Messiers just about visible and I think you can just about see a fuzzy pinwheel. The last image had a nasty telephone line in it so I chopped off the corner rather than cropping.

M45 V1.jpg

Andromeda.jpg

Hyades.jpg

Capella:Auriga V1.jpg

Really nice indeed! i just got the nifty fifty for christmas based on your results with it. went out to use it as soon as i could and i was stunned by what it is capable of. I took a series of subs on cassiopeia, orion, andromeda and pleiades. They were taken in oslo which is according to the dark sky finder app in a white zone of light pollution. I will leave the photos below, but i have still not processed the pleiades. I think though that i have used an aperture to low for the lens on some of the shots, because the bright stars tend to be blue/purple, and based on your photos and the fact that you used the lens at f/3.5, i should probably consider to step up a couple of steps. (i used it at 2.5).

The image of orion was useless because of all the light pollution in the bottom of the image.(still need to get to a proper dark sky)
Andromeda galaxy 50mm wide-field.jpg
Andromeda+Triangulum galaxy 50mm wide-field.jpg
Cassiopeia 50mm wide-field.jpg

Clear skies!

Victor Boesen

Archived