Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TAL 1 Camera mount questions

Craig86

Hello,

Came across this place by a google search which was handy!

I've got a TAL1 Scope which came a camera mount bracket yet in the 4 years or so ive had my telescope i've not been able to workout how to hook it all up, which is a bit annoying as i've been able to get some crackin views of saturn, jupiter and the moon.

Anyone able to shed any light on how I can get it all hooked up?

Thanks!

The tal has an M 42 thread adapter on the focusser and should have come with a kind of threaded ring which screws onto that. This has a t thread on the other end.

To use it you would need a t ring adapter which is specific to your camera. It will be a ring which screws onto the t thread and then into the lens fitting of your camera. You have to take the lens off to use this so you need a DSLR camera.

If you have a normal digital camera (lens does not come off) then you need an Afocal adapter. There are many different kinds of these so If this is thing you need then I recomend the DIGI T system.

Any more quessys just ask!

LUKE

The camera bracket on the older Tal's fits onto the counterweight bar, you then fit your slr/dslr(with lens) to the bracket with the attached threaded screw to the camera tripod mount, theoretically the camera will point at and see what is visible through the eyepiece, the newer Tal's have a fitting on the focusser to attach a camera (without any lens)via a t ring as part timer has mentioned in his post.

There are two types of adapter,

1. if your camera has a filter thread on the lens then you can buy a DIGI- T adapter from several places, (i think green which sell them)(they are about 20 pounds sadly). This is then mounted on your eyepiece.

You then need a step up (or down) ring to adapt the digi- t to your camera. (these are available from camera shops everywhere and cost 5-10 pounds)

This is the best system as it is light proof and holds your camera solidly and easily in the exact center of the eyepiece.

this is a picture of mine where the digi-t is already attached to the eyepiece

7568_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

2. If there is no thread on your lens you will have to use an adapter which clamps your eyepiece and then screws into your tripod thread under the camera.

These can be fiddly to set up and in my oppinion are not as good . Prices will vary fron about 15-50 pounds for these. they are available from any dealer online.

hope this helps

LUKE

Craig,

Attached are two images of how I attach my camera to my Tal-2, don't know what the differences are but the principle will be the same.

For "Prime Focus" I could not achieve focus with a T-Ring so got a Canon AF to M42 adaptor and screwed it directly to the M42 thread on the focuser, this allowed enough "in" travel for focus to be achieved.

The second image is similar to how Luke describes for "Eyepiece Projection", I use a Hyperion eyepiece with an optional adaptor ring and T-Ring, this gives a really good connection and works well.

Hope the info is of use.

Brendan

Archived