Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Black vs White ota and mount

I found this on Wikipedia.  It seems to say metallic and ventilated

Adequate cooling of the surface typically takes place when it loses more energy by infrared radiation than it receives as solar radiation from the sun, which is especially the case on clear nights. Poor thermal conductivity restricts the replacement of such losses from deeper ground layers, which are typically warmer at night. Preferred objects of dew formation are thus poor conducting or well isolated from the ground, and non-metallic, while shiny metal coated surfaces are poor infrared radiators. Preferred weather conditions include the absence of clouds and little water vapor in the higher atmosphere to minimize greenhouse effects and sufficient humidity of the air near the ground. Typical dew nights are classically considered calm, because the wind transports (nocturnally) warmer air from higher levels to the cold surface. However, if the atmosphere is the major source of moisture (this type is called dewfall), a certain amount of ventilation is needed to replace the vapor that is already condensed. The highest optimum wind speeds could be found on arid islands. If the wet soil beneath is the major source of vapor, however (this type of dew formation is called distillation), wind always seems adverse.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 17/12/2016 at 17:41, SteveBz said:

Materials are important for conducting heat around things from hot to cold, but colour is important for radiating heat away.

I can't help thinking about the desert nomadic tribes and them wearing black materials.

Reason, apparently, is black absorbs heat to a point the radiants the 'excess'.

My materials knowledge isn't up to saying why :( but I found thi: http://io9.gizmodo.com/5903956/the-physics-that-explain-why-you-should-wear-black-this-summer

Archived