Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

More Mini-PC Musings

hughgilhespie

Hi,

I recently asked for ideas or recommendations on which types of mini-pc that can be attached directly to a mount or even to the OTA. There seems to be a reasonably wide choice available with the required number and flavours of USB ports.

However, thinking about using a mini-pc mounted in this fashion reveals a problem! The driving force for such a computer is to have the absolute minimun number of cables running to the mount. I would like to have two cables only, one being DC power and the other being a Cat6 network cable. OK, so far so good - but now I need a USB port to control my Pulsar observatory (actually two ports but I could use a hub, so one would be enough). I want the Mount computer to do the observatory control - in fact it would have to as it would be running the sequencing software, SGPro, that actually drives the dome and shutter. But - I really, really don't want to use a long (4 metre) USB cable. I need a wifi USB extender - do they exist? I have tried searching but all that seems to come up is wifi range extenders. I need something that somehow sends a USB command over wifi then outputs it to a USB port somewhere away from the computer.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Regards, Hugh

Google USB over ip.

I have done something similar with a Raspberry Pi forwarding its USB port over wifi, works ok so long as it isn't masses of data.

You can either buy a device that will do the job or like I did set up a RPi to forward USB and com ports.

Archived