NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter above the roof tops

SnakeyJ

It's been six months since I last got the kit out and setup, but decided to take advantage of the clear and high pressure for a first look at Jupiter this morning.

It took me a little longer than planned to put on some extra layers and in remembering how to connect everything - but was up and running by 5am as Jupiter peeked above the roof tops.   A few kit issues to resolve, like my ascom focuser giving up the ghost, but great to be out under a beautiful clear sky.    Seeing was pretty dire given the 25 degrees elevation, so no video recorded, but a good first shake out and hopefully I can fix the focuser and get some data before Christmas :)

....I'm glad you wrote "no video recorded"! I was at least expecting to see some sort of an image  from the title :icon_biggrin:

But at least your outside, that's the main thing. I'm off work for two days (holiday) but have caught a cold so feeling dire, but was hoping to get out this weekend, weather permitting.

5 hours ago, Charic said:

....I'm glad you wrote "no video recorded"! I was at least expecting to see some sort of an image  from the title :icon_biggrin:

But at least your outside, that's the main thing. I'm off work for two days (holiday) but have caught a cold so feeling dire, but was hoping to get out this weekend, weather permitting.

You're right it's a bit of a fradulent post for the Planetary Imaging forum, though I was definitely going through the process ;)   Hope you're feeling brighter and get some good weather over the weekend!

Conditions turned out  bad  this morning but I still had a go at observing, not sure the neighbours will have approved?............ could I stop sneezing, No!
Any how,  I looked outside twice this morning only to see full cloud cover, but at about 0430 I double checked from the back of the house and Ursa Major was just visible overhead through a gap in the clouds,  looked promising, so out came the scope.

It's  0500 I`m back outside and I can detect rain on my face, not so good, but there are still some gaps, so I decided to test my 6mm EPs on Mizar in my Zenith.

As soon as I focused with the first eyepiece, it clouded over, but blow me away, although I could not see the Stars with my eyes, the telescope was still able to detect some  Stars, so I kept on viewing, swapping out the 4 eyepieces Delos, Meade, William Optic, Revelation but finding it difficult to asses any  real differences due to the cloud cover / thickness. But the 6mm Delos was more satisfying due to its wider field of view.

I decided to wait a while (breakfast) and to retest the 8mm Delos/Starguider. On my return it was raining, so everything was hauled back inside, not the result I wanted, and no doubt, no  chance in seeing Jupiter this morning from my vantage point. Better luck next time maybe.

Archived