NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSLR and filter choice

Jonk

I have 2 DSLRs I can use at the moment, both modded with Baader glass, a Canon 1100D and 6D.

Both have Astronomik clip filters, but I want to try without them.

I have another couple of options, a Baader UHC-S and an Baader Neodymium Skyglow / moon filter - both 2". Both are 'visual and photographic use'.

As I don't yet have a CCD camera, I'm still on the learning curve using a DSLR.

I can 'liberate' the calibrated and stacked R G B channels using fits liberator, and I understand what goes on here.

What I want to try however, is the one of other 2 Baader filters for 'luminance' in place of the clip filter.

I also have Lumicon OIII and Ha wide filters, which I can use to get red and blue as I learn, again liberating these from the fits RGB file as mono.

My question, is which one will be more suited out of the Baader filters, in place of the clip filters?

I know the 6D is more sensitive with lower noise etc, but may have to use the 1100D on the scope during SGL XII whilst the 6D is used for static wide timelapses or wide piggy back imaging on the mount.

I know it's not ideal this way, but I'm learning RGB / narrowband techniques with a DSLR before I decide what CCD to get.

I have Star 71 which I recently bought used, and I think the XL clip filter in the 6D is causing an issue with vignetting, hence wanting to try the other 2" filters I have.

If anyone has used any of these Baader filters with a DSLR, I'd like to hear your experience and advice.

Archived