NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Perseus Region

This was 30 minutes from last nights session with the Star Adventurer. It was colour but I had a heck of a problem with LP, colour blotch and gradients. So I cheated and converted to mono then really pushed it to bring the fainter stuff through.

1000d + 50mm F1.8 @ F4 10 x 3 minute subs at 800

persbw_pushed.jpg

The Heart and Soul nebulae are showing now

This can be a tricky region for colour.

Although the Heart and Soul normally come out easily the whole region has feint Ha which mixed with
LP can be a real pain. In not so deep images it can look like red noise or a gradient that will not remove.

If you look in this LRGB image the feint Ha which looks like red background or gradient, over to the right, but it's behind the stars.

heartandsoulwide-1.jpg

Thats a nice image Mike, your right to be proud of it. I have a few close ups myself with many hours of data and they come out well but not as nice as yours.

Yes thers alot of ha in there which if I left in as colour just made the pushed image untidy and this was a quick way of getting to see whats in there for just 30mins exposure which is whatI was after.

This image wasnt meant to be a single subject, it was just slap the camera on the SA and see what comes up in 30 minutes. I will try longer, weather and health permitting but 30mins was all I could manage but it got me out under the stars again

I like the composition with the dust lanes and Alpha Persei cluster at bottom right.

It's probably not faint Ha will be causing problems in this particular case, the extended stuff is really faint. I've imaged this are with different lenses and it doesn't show up at all with 3 minute subs at f4. When I've tried up here in Hertfordshire it's the LP that's been the problem, from a dark site I get plenty of separation between the Heart & Soul and the background.

Had another tinker with the colour image and pulled a bit more out. That's it now but its shown a worthy target for a couple of hours exposure the next clear night if we get one. Image still severely pushed to see whats in there

perscolpushed.jpg

Archived