NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Longest exposure question.

DazC

Sorry but this is impossoble to answer withut more information.

What mount?

Alt Az or equatorial?

Motorized?

Autogided?

Your signature says 250 Dob but for constellations you need a focal length of about 50mm or less, so camera lens territory. Even a very basic equatorial tracking mount wth a 50mm camera lens can do several minutes without guiding at 50mm focal length.

For a better answer we need to know more about the equipment you intend to use. Fire away!

Olly

The general concensus is to follow the 500 Rule.  That is 500 divided by your lens FL. So in your case 500/50 = 10 seconds. Some also use the 600 rule. Trial shots at each setting will show you what works best for your set-up.

I ask my friend who quickly calculates the suggested ISO, Time, Aperture, in his head.

Or I use my "Hit and Miss" trial and error method. Then the "Delete the Incriminating Evidence" before anybody see's the errors. I find "Delete" to be one of the best features of the digital age.  :hiding:

Archived