Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sub-aperture Maks?

http://www.orionoptics.co.uk/acatalog/OMC_Maksutovs.html

I've posted this in couple of other places (CL and SAA), I'm really curious. What are the advantages/disadvantages of this design? It introduces a spider into the system, presumeably there is a very good reason? A don't buy the "dew" reason that Orion claim, if that was the case they'd include a dew shield rather than compromise the optics with a spider.

I thought the point of a Mak was that the inside of the curved meniscus lens is silvered. Simple, no spider, no secondary collimation. If there is a spider, the secondary must be separate, eh, and it isn't really a Mak.

Why don't you write the designer and ask. I'm sure he has a boiler plate reply ready to go. For £2,200 they should know what they are doin'.

I thought the point of a Mak was that the inside of the curved meniscus lens is silvered. Simple, no spider, no secondary collimation. If there is a spider, the secondary must be separate, eh, and it isn't really a Mak.

Why don't you write the designer and ask. I'm sure he has a boiler plate reply ready to go.

The meniscus design makes it a Mak, where it's placed is secondary (pun intended :p) if not irrelevant. The fact it isn't silvered (some are silvered like Gregorian Maks, others have a mirror mounted on the inside of the meniscus like a Rumak) doesn't stop it being a Mak. The meniscus makes it a Mak.

Why get a "boiler plate" reply when you can get a "proper" one? I was just curious why that design was chosen, the answer is ££££££. :lol::(

Archived