Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

An update to the North Yorkshire Astronomical Society

Hey kids,

In my previous post (found here: http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,28847.0.html) I explained how an e-mail address, facebook group and registration with astronomyclubs.com had been made for North Yorkshire Astronomical Society.

Well NYAS, now has a website (wahoo)...it has the basics in place i.e. gallery, news, feedback, links etc but is still in need of perfecting (some of the news isn't completed yet and the gallery is still being added to). However I would be greateful to any amateur astronomer in the county of North Yorkshire to check it out etc.

I have added some links to the site, one is for this site and one is for First Light Optics, I hope that both SGL and FLO don't mind the free advertising :shocked:

The website can be found at: http://northyorksastro.googlepages.com/home

So, enjoy and thankyou for reading.

The links are sorted now....

I'll probably have the rest of it complete by the end of the weekend.

Thanks for viewing though :shocked:

If you or anyone else has any ideas for it then please let me know, I am thinking about contacting York astro society etc and see if I can advertise their services and lectures...the way I see it the more the merrier!

Thankyou John,

Well I would preferably like it to represent all of North Yorkshire. I am not trying to wrestle in or cloud over other astronomy clubs that are in this area, infact I would very much like to be associated with them if possible. I see the website and facebook group as a central hub from which other societies, clubs and groups can interact with. Obviously other clubs have far more experience and members so basically my main interest is just to provide information for astronomers in the north east, especially north yorkshire.

I have placed on pretty much every page (at the bottom) of the website a contact e-mail address, I hope that anyone in North Yorkshire wanting to promote an event gets in contact so I can post it on the webby, this should hopefully act as another way of advertising astronomy to a greater public. Having said that, I am from just outside Northallerton so certain information may be aimed at persons from the Northallerton, Hambleton and Cleveland area. Anyone is welcome.

:shocked:

Hello EA,

Well done for starting something. It ain't easy that's for sure.

Do you have any telescopes and/or any dark skies sites you could use, because groups are better when they meet. I too started from scratch.

See what we do, it's kinda similar www.hantsastro.org any advice just ask away! Keep it simple and it will be fun.

Biggest buzz ever when other people join in.

I wish you the very best of luck, you have a good vibe.

D

Thankyou very much Woodsey65, your website looks great and I am sure I can add a few of your ideas to mine.

As you say, on one hand its really good to start something new that I hope appeals to a lot of people, but on the other hand I may in time change it to maybe represent my local area only and not the whole of the county. But we shall see, I have good faith in what I am doing and with help from others then it should be a success.

The website is sure to change over time, as you quite rightly ask I need to promote good viewing areas and give information on basic astronomy. I personally have 2 telescopes at the moment and am after another along with some other equipment. I think one of the main aims of the society is to bring together persons who have knowledge of different areas of astronomy and this way any new persons who come along to meetings (those that aren't familiar with the night sky, but are willing to learn) etc can learn from those of us who know a little more. After all we have to start somewhere!

But yes its still in its infancy and it will take time to get properly up and running, I'll perhaps post some places on the website for areas where dark skies are good.

I thought about starting 'just another club', but I was told why have boundaries? We have members joining from all over the UK and subscribers too. It might seem out of your comfort zone, but with the right support (which it looks like you're getting) then it's just a name. We wanted to represent an area, an ethos that had common ground amongst astronomers. People love info, like SGL it's a great place to get help. Funny but we have 5 other 'Core Team', members, that act like a counsel. I defer to them often and listen to all members. They have the ultimate vote, with their feet!

So we have to make it work. It's a good or bad thing depending on if you want to dictate or control. I'm not interested in either, and the others have no axe to grind so it works for now. I hope it continues, as we get more done and this is one of the most exciting times I've had for a while, and I know I'm not alone in saying that.

If you have seen our simple membership form it kinda says it all. Cut's out the fat.

I liken our group to a Newtonian Reflector, it's elemental, it's simple and it works. The less complicated you make, then there's less to go wrong.

Yet it is still sophisticated if you look at how it's engineered.

I applaud what you're doing. It's promoting astronomy and bringing people together.

That's cool, really cool.

Keep it up!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again,

I hope that quite a lot of people read this as its quite important (I feel).

The website http://northyorksastro.googlepages.com/home was under the name 'society' and after consideration by myself and also inclusion of opinion from York AS, I have changed the name of the website to 'North Yorkshire Astronomy'. This way I think it suits what I am trying to promote, the phrase 'society' to some people indicates a central HQ of sorts and I (at this point) do not have any means of hosting lectures or meeting etc. The website is aimed at connecting astronomers to whats available in North Yorkshire.

I would therefore like to appologise to 'Viking' et al. who had 'North Yorkshire Astronomical Society' listed on the AstroPedia, but would also ask if the link remains but have the name changed to 'North Yorkshire Astronomy'

Sorry for any inconvenience, this should be the last of the name changing...... :D

Archived