NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Do you need a Flattener for Micro Four Thirds

I have just got a Esprit 100 ED plus the flattener and the 48mm - Nikon adapter to use with my Nikon full frame camera as prime focus.

I would also like to use a Micro Four Thirds Camera but there does not seem to be any 48mm - M4/3 adapters out there to give the required 63mm spacing.

Because the M4/3 sensor size is quite a bit smaller is a flattener necessary ?  

Just a thought, but would you need a 48mm adapter? I should have thought a standard M42 thread of the T adapter would not give significant vignetting. I use a T adapter with my APS on a 102mm f/7 scope without a problem. Might give you more options.

Ian

18 hours ago, The Admiral said:

Just a thought, but would you need a 48mm adapter? I should have thought a standard M42 thread of the T adapter would not give significant vignetting. I use a T adapter with my APS on a 102mm f/7 scope without a problem. Might give you more options.

Ian

I haven't tested it yet (Clouds) but yes I know I can use a Standard Micro Four Thirds  T-adapter and get focus through a diagonal without the flattener installed.  

I am trying to find out in advance if a flattener is needed for a Micro Four Thirds camera or is the star field flat enough without one.  If I install the Skywatcher flattener then it only works if the sensor is exactly 63mm from the flattener.  So for full frame cameras you can get a specific adapters that screw into the flattener and attach direct to the camera lens mount so that this 63 mm is achieved.  The standard T-adapter is too big and places the camera too far away too have any effect.

I guess I am in unknown territory here seems that not many people are using micro four thirds cameras for imaging on a scope so will have to give it a try and see if its an issue, the reason I am trying this is because the micro four thirds cameras are much lighter, smaller and easier to control with free software than a full frame.

I have spoken to FLO who said they are not aware of any 48mm adapters for micro four thirds but they have pointed me to someone who makes custom adapters.

I know what you are saying Dave, but I thought that rather than worry about field flatness without your flattener, that you could use it with the flattener (and not through the diagonal) provided you opt for a T2 adapter for your camera. The standard for T2 is that the flange to film/sensor distance is 55mm, which is less than your 63mm, so it should be possible to get an M48-T2 adapter and use a T2 adapter for MFT. Low profile M48-T2 adapters are available from 365 Astronomy and Teleskop-Express; the one from FLO I think is a bit too deep. I have a Fuji X-T1, again a camera not commonly use in astrophotography, and which is mirrorless like yours, so in fact there is space to be had since the flange to sensor distance is not great. I got SRP-Photographic to manufacture a 'short' Fuji-T2 adapter for a reasonable sum (you'd need to email them as this service doesn't appear on their website now), and although I don't use it this way, it would probably provide sufficient space for an M42 adjustable extension so that you could 'tune' the spacing.

Just my two pennyworth.

Ian

Thanks for the input but it still doesn't work.  The flattener itself has a M65 thread.

The magic number for the flattener to sensor distance is 63mm.  so comparing the two makes of camera.

--------------------------------------------------Nikon F ------------------Micro 4/3

Flange to Focus distance ---------------------46.5 ----------------------19.25

Camera to M48 adapter------------------------ 8.5 --------------------Not Available

Camera to T2 adapter-------------------------- xxx---------------------- 35.75

T2 to M48 adapter -------------------------------------------------------- 8.0  

Flattener M65 - M48 spacer--------------------8.0------------------------ 8.0

Total Distance----------------------------------63.0 ---------------------- * 71.0  * too far.

So to work directly with the flattener I need one of three options 

a. - a micro 4/3 camera to M48 adapter thats 35.75mm wide  - don't exist

b. - a low profile T2 to Micro 4/3 adapter thats only 27.5 mm wide  - can't find one

c - a M65 to T2 adapter thats 8 mm wide - can't find one

Looks like custom job for option C.

10 hours ago, wornish said:

Thanks for the input but it still doesn't work.  The flattener itself has a M65 thread.

Ah, I hadn't realised that, I'd assumed it was M48. But presumably you have an adapter for the Nikon, so couldn't you use your Olympus with a MFT-Nikon mount converter in place of the Nikon? Wouldn't that put the MFT sensor in the same position as the Nikon's?

Ian

4 hours ago, The Admiral said:

Ah, I hadn't realised that, I'd assumed it was M48. But presumably you have an adapter for the Nikon, so couldn't you use your Olympus with a MFT-Nikon mount converter in place of the Nikon? Wouldn't that put the MFT sensor in the same position as the Nikon's?

Ian

Yes I do have the nikon to M4/3 mount converter as I sometimes  use my Nikon zoom lens on the m 4/3 camera. I have just measured it and its 27.15 flange to flange.

So :

Flange to Focus ---  19.25

M4/3 to Nikon F  -- 27.15  ( its a cheap one)

Nikon F to M48  ---  8.5

M48 to M65 --------  8.0

Total                    62.9   !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats pretty close you might have cracked it-  THANKS !

Now I need the clouds to go away and give it a try.

Archived