Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First telescope - which one to buy !?

2 hours ago, Christory said:

Hello all and thank you.  Now I get it! Your information makes sense to me.   I visited a local camera store (also sells telescopes) and I don't know if I was having a Homer Simpson moment or the salesman was speaking gobbledegook but I left the store more confused than I was before I went in.    

What did you go in to look at/buy? And what did you leave feeling confused about?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Jimtheslim.  I took on board your advice about buying new eyepieces and a better diagonal and went to the store to see what was available to me.  I told the salesman what I was interested in (plossl eyepieces and maybe a diagonal)  so he started going on about prisms and why I should buy illuminated eyepieces then moved on to telling me why buying the telescope on display in the shop might be a better option.  That's when I left the shop.  I won't be going back.         

1 hour ago, Christory said:

Hello Jimtheslim.  I took on board your advice about buying new eyepieces and a better diagonal and went to the store to see what was available to me.  I told the salesman what I was interested in (plossl eyepieces and maybe a diagonal)  so he started going on about prisms and why I should buy illuminated eyepieces then moved on to telling me why buying the telescope on display in the shop might be a better option.  That's when I left the shop.  I won't be going back.         

Sounds to me like you made the right decision there! Two completely inappropriate recommendations. If you're on a budget I think the Skywatcher SuperPlossls are fantastic value at about £20 new. I've seen better views, but not though anything costing less than about £70. The Celestron Ex_Cel LXs are nice also, but a bit dearer at around £60 each - you get a wider field of view and slightly flatter field with less distortion at the edges, but at the cost of a bit more glare on bright objects.

Not completely convinced by the diagonal upgrade thing - I've done it and it maybe gave me a bit, but less than the eyepieces. I guess it depends on the quality of what you have to start out. Not too pricey though, so maybe worth a punt.

Billy.

20 hours ago, Christory said:

Hello all and thank you.  Now I get it! Your information makes sense to me.   I visited a local camera store (also sells telescopes) and I don't know if I was having a Homer Simpson moment or the salesman was speaking gobbledegook but I left the store more confused than I was before I went in.    

Without wishing to denigrate your local camera store, it was more likely the salesman's lack of knowledge of telescopes, he is probably very good on cameras but less so on scopes as they are likely to be something of a sideline. This is why you will see time and again that members here try to steer newcomers to dedicated astronomy dealers.

Good luck and keep asking questions.

I am all for supporting your local businesses, but to be honest unless the people in your local camera shop have a lot of experience with telescopes, you are probably better off getting advice on here and looking for used equipment. Like I say, anyone who takes astronomy seriously is more than likely going to take care with their equipment, so buying second hand shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as you read the ebay descriptions carefully (other trading sites are available...apparently).

As said above, the benefit of a new diagonal is a little marginal so look for eyepieces first, however, as I say even minor improvements can feel big when you're trying to squeeze every last drop of performance out your scope. So don't discount one, keep your eye out and if one comes up used have a think about it. The affect it had on mine which was most noticeable was to turn Venus from a bright point of light, like a star, to a bright disc with a defined edge and the phase (how much of the planetary disc was showing) was clear. Like I say, tiny gains.

As for eyepieces, Skywatcher are a trusted brand, even if they don't make the most exotic and desirable equipment. But do keep looking on the used market. I sold off my Meade plossls with no reserve and one of them went for about £6 which is a bit of a bargain.

Back to the planetary scope: My best view of Saturn was through (I think) a Tal 100 RS refractor. Nothing really special other then whatever Tal did they did it right  As Tals are as best I know not produced at present, the nearest would be one of the Bresser scopes, 102L, or a Skywatcher Evostar102 refractor.

They are all about 100mm diameter (hence the names) and about f/10 so around a meter focal length, so  tube length of around 800mm and they are achro's. So there will be a degree of chromatic aberration, but hopefully minimal.

The time I was observing Saturn the eyepiece was an 8mm something (no idea which brand or other details), so that would be giving 125x magnification. I suggest that for planets something capable of delivering similar is considered. Now an Evostar 90 will I think deliver a similar result, slight loss in brightness but no more.

Other then Jupiter and Saturn the other planet is Mars. Mars needs (in general) more aperture and more magnification, I would estimate that for Mars 250x is wanted to get detail and that is going to the limit of most scopes. In a way Mars will be out of sight for the next 2 years so not at this time worth considering. In 2 years you should have more idea about what you wish to do and the equipment.

Mounts are possibly worse to suggest, manual or motorised or goto ?

In reflector selection it is again the mount. Something like an EQ5, or a dobsonian mount. Not sure how well a 5 year old (hope I have that right) will take to a dobsonian. It will either be easy or impossible. Whichever it is unlikely to be immediate so a little practise and play is likely to be required, and that need a few clear noghts which seem in short supply.

Almost standerd idea is visit a club, assuing one is accessible to you: http://www.astronomyclubs.co.uk/

Also budget to buy 2 or 3 additional eyepieces. The supplied items allow you to view but the performance is not great.

Archived