Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Wipple Museum, Cambridge

JohnC64

I had a very interesting afternoon at the Wipple museum in Cambridge.  http://www.sites.hps.cam.ac.uk/whipple/aboutthemuseum/

We've been meaning to go for a while now, but have just managed to get around to it.  It has a fabulous collection of Scientific instruments, Astronomical instruments, Surveying equipment and Computing and calculation equipment.  All housed in 3 rooms at the museum.  If you are ever in Cambridge its well worth a visit and its open Mon - Fri in the afternoons.  Heres some pictures of my visit.

Cheers John

Just by the entrance is a beautiful Mount which has brass rod 'slo mo' controls and a 'drop- weight' mechanism that can be engaged to drive the scope to match the earths rotation.

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

Along with a number of cabinets of instruments

IMG_0841.jpg 

IMG_0852.jpg

A stunning orrery in the main hall has the accompanying quotation that says 'Astronomy was considered an appropriate pursuit for polite society during the 18th Century' - So nothing has changed then!!!

IMG_0849.jpg

And of course in the computing and calculation area, there was  a 'blast from the past' for me when i spotted a ZX81. It didn't have the free games cassette that you got when they couldn't make them fast enough ;-)  In fact they use a collection of old Macs to allow you to find out more about the items in the museum.

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

Archived