NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Framing with Stellarium

Tommohawk

Funny thing - no matter what lens or scope I use, the orientation of my image never matches the sensor view in Stellarium! I have the scopes set up to flip H and V, and the camera lenses with no flip. Also the sensor details of course.

Its a bit of a pain if trying to find/frame faint objects before its very dark. I've been doing this for a few years so you'd think I'd have this sorted by now!

Any tips on this?

Sorry my response to this seems to have been withheld by the HTML fairies - here it is again!

Thanks both for the responses!

Louise - Thanks, I know I can rotate the sensor to match the image but the point is I want the sensor orientation to be correct at the outset so I can identify the target more easily. That said, Ive been using CTRL O to do this - didn't realise you could click on the greyed out digits - heaps easier!

Ruud - yes, good point. I usually work in AZ cos I find it more intuitive, but even in EQ things dont seem right. Also, I've just noticed that in the scope settings theres a tick box for EQ. Not sure what this does, given you can set AZ or EQ as you have shown using the lower autohide panel tools.

20 minutes ago, Tommohawk said:

Sorry my response to this seems to have been withheld by the HTML fairies - here it is again!

Thanks both for the responses!

Louise - Thanks, I know I can rotate the sensor to match the image but the point is I want the sensor orientation to be correct at the outset so I can identify the target more easily. That said, Ive been using CTRL O to do this - didn't realise you could click on the greyed out digits - heaps easier!

Ruud - yes, good point. I usually work in AZ cos I find it more intuitive, but even in EQ things dont seem right. Also, I've just noticed that in the scope settings theres a tick box for EQ. Not sure what this does, given you can set AZ or EQ as you have shown using the lower autohide panel tools.

Hi Tom

Unfortunately there's no way that Stellarium can know your camera orientation automatically so you have to adjust the sensor view manually. Of course, you can help yourself by adjusting your camera orientation to line up with RA and DEC :)

Louise

1 hour ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi Tom

Unfortunately there's no way that Stellarium can know your camera orientation automatically so you have to adjust the sensor view manually. Of course, you can help yourself by adjusting your camera orientation to line up with RA and DEC :)

Louise

Louise - well I always start off from parked with camera in "normal" position aligned with RA and Dec.  

In practice I can rotate the sensor view in Stellarium to match the camera image content - but then the content of the 2 views match, but the Stellarium view is wonky. When using my 300mm Tamron, its easy to rotate the camera to make the content and orientation match - but I cant do that easily with other camera lenses or with the scopes.

I'm struggling to explain this! There's a lot of gesticulating going on here!

21 minutes ago, Tommohawk said:

Louise - well I always start off from parked with camera in "normal" position aligned with RA and Dec.  

In practice I can rotate the sensor view in Stellarium to match the camera image content - but then the content of the 2 views match, but the Stellarium view is wonky. When using my 300mm Tamron, its easy to rotate the camera to make the content and orientation match - but I cant do that easily with other camera lenses or with the scopes.

I'm struggling to explain this! There's a lot of gesticulating going on here!

Hi

I meant with camera mounted on the scope to have it such that when a sub is taken the edges of the image are then always aligned with RA and DEC. However, it can happen that you want the fov rotated to suit the target... I think the sensor view is only meant to be a guide anyway.

Louise

Archived