Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My Skywatcher 130mm eq3

Hey guys its been a long time since i posted and asked something so here I am I guess...

So just half year ago i bought Skywatcher 130mm eq3 I am quite satisfied, but any of you guys know more about it? What you think? Is it possible with extra eyepieces or barlow lenses to see for example Saturn and other planets? Because now the most fascinating object for me is the moon. 

Any replies are appreciated :)   

Hi ther Ray just got th same scope last Christmas and have had som great views of Saturn Jupiter Mars etc so you should have np viewn these try downloading Stellarium set it to ur location it lets you know wats out and wer its is hth...... clear sky's. 

5 hours ago, Ray02 said:

Hey guys its been a long time since i posted and asked something so here I am I guess...

So just half year ago i bought Skywatcher 130mm eq3 I am quite satisfied, but any of you guys know more about it? What you think? Is it possible with extra eyepieces or barlow lenses to see for example Saturn and other planets? Because now the most fascinating object for me is the moon. 

Any replies are appreciated :)   

The 130 Explorer should manage 60x per inch on the Moon.

Bazooka New Rings (2).jpg

I achieve this with a 6mm eyepiece (usually an orthoscopic) combined with a 2x Barlow. A 7mm combined with a 2x Barlow will give 257x on the 900mm, f6.9 version of the 130mm Explorer.

TSO pair.jpg

I used the TS Optics 5mm Planetary HR for 180x on the Moon only a couple of nights ago. These eyepieces are extraordinarily good for the money.

Astrophotography as many people will tell you needs a sturdy mount, magnification is usually 50% of scopes diameter so be careful don't go too high on magnification saying that a 8mm will show you the rings on Saturn it will be small but you should see it and them.  Is your scope the 130/650 if so it's f5 scope which is called a fast scope make sure you test collimation each time you take it out. The BST'S  from skies the limit are great eyepieces for fast scopes at £49 each they are a bargain. 

On 26 September 2016 at 10:24, Ray02 said:

Ok I will check them out. But did you see Saturn rings or other planets? Can I start astrophotography some time later? Thanks for the help :)

Saturn's rings are easily visible with the 130. About 150x will give you good detail and you should see the Cassini Division. You will easily see the rings at any magnification above 50x. I can often get 200x or more near Opposition. I have even seen the rings through my Explorer at about 28x with a 32mm Plossl. I saw surface features on Mars (including the northern polar cap) this year with my 130 Explorer (200 - 257x). I can often get 150 - 225x on Jupiter viewing equatorial belts and the Great Red Spot.

Archived