SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Brand new azeq6gt noise

Longinthetooth

Hi folks.

I've deforked my LX200 and bought a brand new Skywatcher azeq6gt. When I try to slew using the hand controller the mount makes a nasty noise and refuses to move. The tick ticking noise happened straight out of the box and although I have had it slewing since then, it is currently not moving as in the video.

I'm hoping it's just a newbie error on my part and not something sinister......

JB

PS NOW SOLVED - JUST A NEWBIE ERROR!

It's not supposed to make any/much noise at all, just a very slight humming noise when the motors are activated.

I would not use the mount at all, but contact the supplier.

If the supplier agrees that you can open the motor cover, you can unscrew it and have a look inside. (Having an OK from the supplier enures you that you don't void the warranty)

I had a similar problem with mine (but different, screeching noise), which became apparent after a short while of testing, even before I had a chance to use it outdoors.

I opened the motor cover (from the opposite side of the electronics connectors) and found that the RA drive wheel had started do turn its way into the cover.

AZ-EQ6_cover.jpg

Sent the picture to the supplier, who asked me if I thought it would be an easy fix. When I answered that it probably wouldn't, they replaced the mount without any further questions. The replacement works extremely well.

Hope this helps,

PS,

come to think of something you can check: the supply voltage must be 12 V with enough current. If you turn on the mount (but don't activate the motors), you can check supply voltage in the utility function menu. Too low a voltage will have the electronics work ok, but not the motors. (But in my opinion, this shouldn't cause the noise)

1 hour ago, Longinthetooth said:

Hi folks.

I've deforked my LX200 and bought a brand new Skywatcher azeq6gt. When I try to slew using the hand controller the mount makes a nasty noise and refuses to move. The tick ticking noise happened straight out of the box and although I have had it slewing since then, it is currently not moving as in the video.

I'm hoping it's just a newbie error on my part and not something sinister......

JB

PS NOW SOLVED - JUST A NEWBIE ERROR!

What was the problem and how did you fix it ? This might help others who experience a similar problem.

Thanks Wim - good advice and I did check the voltage 13.7V.

Peter - 

Just a newbie error on my part. I hadn't pressed the enter key following the hand controller's initialisation when it shows "mode" - I didn't realise it was awaiting a response! One of those things which may seem obvious to more experienced users but wasn't to me. It became clear once I reread the relevant section (Part 2) in the user guide. It doesn't explicitly say " you must press enter at this point or the mount won't slew". Instead it says "Users can slew the mount with direction keys in this step" That wasn't clear enough for me! Duh! To be fair it does say press enter further up the page....

The mount still makes a noise when starting and stopping. In between it's just a quiet buzz. 

Cheers

JB

Archived